Cheap Bandsaw

Just saw this on the Axminster website special offers bit:

Looks like my Machine Mart one only in a different colour, one of the most useful things I've bought so far. Axminster are doing it for =A3110 compared to =A3150++ at most other places.

Stu G

Reply to
stooby-doo

I wish people wouldn't do that. I had convinced myself that I couldn't justify the money, even if I risked a hernia every time I took a piece of steel into work to cut. And today's payday as well. Did you plan this deliberately?

I note with some amusement that they don't seem to have any 64"/1645mm blades for sale.

Chronos want £225 inc VAT for that saw.

If I survive the angioplasty tomorrow, maybe I'll invest in one!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Is angioplasty generally fatal? I thought it was like the medical equivalent of having Dyno-Rod round. If you manage to pull through and decide to buy the bandsaw, J&L have a wide range of blades for it. They did however take a week to get one to me on their 24 hour delivery service, not impressed by that, I had to try and remember how my hacksaw worked, couldn't even plug the bugger in :)

Have fun tomorrow !

Stu G

Reply to
stooby-doo

My son in law does it. He also plays bass guitar but not necessarily at the same time.

He is coping with inflation!

cheers

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I guess if it was, they would have figured out by now that it was a Bad Idea

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Hi

I have a small bandsaw from chesters and its been a good bit of kit. It uses smaller blades than the more popular 4 1/2 bandsaws and I have used dragon saws for blades. They can supply any size blade and in a variety of materials and tpi. The prices were competetive and speedy delivery I think they sometimes appear on ebay but I have an email addy. snipped-for-privacy@dragonsaws.co.uk

No c>Just saw this on the Axminster website special offers bit:

Reply to
Paul M

Bad form to reply to one's own posts, but what the hey..

The quack at the hospital, after six attempts to find my femoral artery (may be normal, I don't know), fed the bit of hose up to my heart and injected the stuff around it. A few seconds later he announced that there was nothing wrong. On being asked "what was causing the angina then?" he wasn't forthcoming with a meaningful explanation.

To celebrate this I went out and ordered the Axminster Chinese bandsaw. It arrived today and I spent three hours putting then kit of parts together. This is my first experience of new (as opposed to second hand) Chinese production. British industry cannot possibly compete at this price level. To make this saw would have cost at least five times as much over here to avoid the bankruptcy of the manufacturer. Having said that, I would have been willing to spend 10% more to avoid having to clean the bloody casting sand out of the gearbox..

I took a couple of slices off a length of 2" square EN1A as a test, and because I needed them. The cuts were acceptably straight and square, although I must braze up a coarser blade, since anything that needs the supplied 14tpi blade can be cut with a hacksaw by hand.

The swarf handling is non-existent, the vice is marginal, the cutting force control is vague and the worm gear is made from brass!. These limitations will eventually be sorted when the saw is built onto the end of a bench. Basically it's a kit of parts to build a saw with. But a proper bandsaw would cost much more. So who am I to complain :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Was using said Chinese bandsaw last night and noticed a bonfire-like smell.

Assuming that the neighbours weren't burning trees in the rain at 21:00, I looked inside the belt guard. The very economically made microswitch that cuts the power off at inconvenient times was smouldering gently. Replacement with a section of 5A chocolate block has made it far more reliable...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

ote:

Congratulations on your medical results and on the purchase of your

4x6 - I got one a while back (the 4x6) and I could not believe that I used to cut every thing by hand !!!. Then I made a coolant pump arrangement and was busy with a pneumatic arm when a 7x12 came my way with all those things included and now I don't know how I managed with the 4x6 !!!! :)

May your first cut be the deepest.

regards Tim

Reply to
TMN