Cheap tool grinders

Hi,

I need to buy a cheap tool grinder for grinding toolbits for lathework. The type I am thinking of is the type with a wheel at either end.

I am more or less decided on using hss tools and I wondered if there is any point in paying more than the £30-£40 that places like BeanQueue are asking ? Is there anything particular to look out for / avoid when buying such a beast ? I don't want to spend more that necessary because I may build one of the ME specials like the Quorn or Kenwhotsit later, but equally it has to do the job until I get round to that.

Thanks,

Boo

Reply to
Boo

In message , Boo writes

Hmm strange name

Commonly known as an offhand grinder.

If you can find one go for an 8" which plenty of power, 3/4hp would be good.

The little 6" versions sold are mainly rated at less than 1/2hp. I wouldn't even believe that. OK for touching up a tool, but no way near man enough to gut a fresh piece of HSS down to something useful.

If you do go the route of a real cheapy, then I'd also advise the wheels are rarely mounted correctly and are of dubious quality.

Recently took a gamble on a Sealey 8" offered by my local tool supplier for about 60 quid or something close. The wheels ran out so badly they were useless. BUT a couple of new Norton wheels fitted with new machined flanges (the originals were nasty pressed steel) had it running smooth as silk. and no longer shook everything off the bench! I didn't send it back, as I thought the next one would be the same.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Hi

I have bought several double-ended bench grinders from Screwfix for £15 each. Have turned the shafts true, although not sure that was necessary. In doing so the shaft diameter was reduced from 1/2" to 12mm.

The wheel fixing arrangements are not the best, but easily rectified.

If nothing more these are a cheap source of low power motors, complete with switch.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Ball

I can't help but wonder if these cheapy tool vendors know the able amongst us aren't going to return goods because we know the replacement will be equally as cr*p.

You're buying not so much a complete grinder but more like a part finished kit. Kinda ARTR.

Bri

Reply to
briano

Hi, I bought one of these at Bricomarche for 15 euro, threw away the wheels, fitted a diamond cup wheel and intend to build a decent grinding rest - when I get "a round touit"!

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

...snip...

Hi,

Thanks to you and the others who replied. I have looked around and I can see one on the Axminster website that meets your spec :

search for "AW8G" if that link doesn't take you there directly. Does this look like a good choice to you ? It's 3 times the price of the Proxon thet BeanQueue sell :

do you think I need to pay this much for probably quite occasional use of a grinder. I may need to do very occasional grinding of fairly serious form tools but it won't be very often.

On another note one comes with 36g and 80g and t'other with 36g and 60g wheels, which of these is the best combination for hss and what would you choose if you were buying wheels ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

In message , Boo writes

Hi

I think it's not too bad. J&L do a sealey branded 8" for maybe a little less, but plus VAT. I'd reckon even that would need rework based on my earlier experience.

BUT to put it into perspective and to the other person who noted the reluctance to take things back I looked at the Union Branded stuff in the J&L catalogue for a laugh..

Their 8" bench grinder is rated at 1Hp but costs nearly 800 quid So I'd think the sub 100 pound grinders, that might need a new set of flanges making are still a bargain.

I'd go for the finer 80g, and get yourself a wheel dresser. I tend to use Boron sticks rather tan anything else.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

The major problem with cheap grinders (once you get the wheels running true) is the lightweight grinding rests. they are never solid enough for decent grinding. Bolting the grinder to a base and fabricating a more solid rest will make it a much better machine.

Regards

Kev>Hi,

Reply to
Kevin Steele