Chester Lathes

Can't subscribe to that one Andrew because as many of you know I'm well in with a few local scrappies. So far I haven't been offered any import machines other then the odd pillar drill. Still getting the odd Colchester and Harrison from schools but no imports.

When the Mill Drills first came out I bought one from Excel at Coventry, the larger Major series as at that time it was the only machine affordable for a small shop. The next was a Senior but they weren't affordable at that time.

Bearing in mind this was an early machine and I did have to do a bit of work to make it smooth. I later fitted a DC motor and speed control, VFD's were mega expensive and not that good at that time. I later fitted a Heidenhain DRO on it that cost me £400 secondhand then, I think the machine was £750.

I spent this money as I was just getting started commercially and had a load of steerable mirror mounts to make for laser cutters and these had to be knob on. It did me good service for quite a few years and when sold to make way for a larger machine I think it still fetched £750 with a bit of kit with it.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

You would see them on eBay first! ;-))