Circular saw speed and horsepower

Hi there,

I have a large old sawbench that I have refurbished, I finished modifying a pulley on my old Herbert today and now I need to provide some motive power for it.

There are two circular saw blade one 3 ft. and the other 18 inches. I have a variety of motors and I need to know what the cutting speed needs to be and how much horsepower will be needed to drive the saw.

Anyone got any ideas, please.

Thanks George.

Reply to
George

rough guesses and rough rounding off.

going buy ...my 12 inch blade needs 2800 rpm ... 37 inches circum

so your 18 inch blade needs 1500 rpm.... 56 inches circum

and the 3 foot blade needs 750 rpm... 113 circum

hp power would be dependent on how thick the wood is.

so i know that a 12 inch blade needs 3 hp ...to cut 4 inches ...it just about does that ...just.

so multiply by that ...

8 inch cut...thats max of 18 inch blade, you may need 6 hp... and 16 inch cut of 36 inch blade....12 hp

not scientific ...but ...who really knows.

all the best..mark

Reply to
mark

Decent rule of thumb is 4" of blade per HP up to 15" then 3" per HP and over.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

On or around Thu, 08 Mar 2007 21:29:47 GMT, John Stevenson enlightened us thusly:

The big old saws used to be run from an engine or a tractor.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

text -

Thanks for the information, I would like to drive it with an old Fordson Major, but it does not have a flat belt drive. I do have quite a few suitable engines however with V belt drive. I now have completely rebuilt the drive shaft and installed a 3 sheaf V pulley that I turned out to fit the 1 1/4 inch shaft. I had not done this last time I put some pictures on the webpage concerned, We are nearly there now! New bearings, Lefthand thread holding bolt, etc., etc.

Regards George.

Reply to
George

Could always look for a Field Marshal, they sound nicer then Fordson's as well :-)

Mark Rand (running, ducking) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand