Clearing out Dads workshop - still ongoing!!

Hi All
I am still trying to rationalise the contents of my late fathers workshop/double garage and could do with some advice.
I have uncovered an old lathe - a Flexispeed Meteor 11 with a feed gear fitted. 3 and 4 jaw chucks, face plate, milling attachment and an assortment of tool bits. Its mounted on a piece of kitchem worktop with a motor and a mains switch giving you fwd off rev.
I have some photos of it I could email if anyone would like a look at it and the bits to go with it - trying to organise a web site but getting nowhere fast!
I need to sell this (and stacks loads of other stuff in due course) to make a bit more space and to raise a few quid.
Question is what is one of these worth? I am guessing that the supply of cheap and cheerful chinese imports has kyboshed the secondhand value of this sort of lathe? :o(
regards
Dudley

Take a look at the website www.homeworkshop.org.uk which is just for the purpose you seek, and is run by the well-respected John Stevenson who is a regular contributor to this newsgroup

gear
worktop with a

at it

getting
course) to

supply of

value of

Stevenson
.. or rather run by his son now!
AWEM

A sprightly young lad as is our John is old enough to have had children?
On 08/06/2011 12:01, anon and off wrote:

Thats where I was going to put an advert for the Meteor (and here), I did search the site to see if anyojne else had sold a Flexispeed in recent months - no is the answer. Hence my posting here.

feed gear

an
worktop with a

look at it

getting
course) to

supply of

value of

for
Stevenson
Dudley,
I think that there is always a steady market for smallish working lathes if the price is right - even if not a name many would know. Homeworkshop is the place to put it.
(BTW the steel stock I had from you has already proved very useful !!)
AWEM
On 08/06/2011 18:15, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Glad to hear that the steel found a good home!
"if the price is right" thats the dilemma! I have no idea what the right price is for such a thing - I haven't (yet) found another one for sale or that has been sold to get some idea of a price :o(
I don't know if I should be looking for 10, 50 or 100 for it - although I suspect its not 10 ;o)
Any clues as to a fair price gentlemen?
regards
Dudley
Dudley Simons wrote:

sorry, no idea - but if you send me some photos I can post them
-- Peter Fairbrother

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Look at the competition. Typically this is going to be the Seig or similar machines. If your machine is in tip top condition and will turn steel accurately then maybe you can look at 30% of a Sieg max If it is at all slack and really needs work on it to do accurate work then it only worth say 50. If it has a good selection of accessories with it then maybe up to 100 as the purchaser will need to spend out on those to do much useful work with it.
hth
Bob
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

http://www.zenadsl6186.zen.co.uk/flexispeed/drive.jpg
http://www.zenadsl6186.zen.co.uk/flexispeed/faceplate.jpg
http://www.zenadsl6186.zen.co.uk/flexispeed/lathe.jpg
http://www.zenadsl6186.zen.co.uk/flexispeed/milling.jpg
http://www.zenadsl6186.zen.co.uk/flexispeed/tooling.jpg
http://www.zenadsl6186.zen.co.uk/flexispeed/tools.jpg
roughly 200 kB each
-- Peter Fairbrother
On 10/06/2011 15:20, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Thanks for hosting those images Peter - I'll have another go at NTL/Virgin over the weekend!
So there we have it gentlemen, one Flexispeed Meteor 11 with assorted goodies, suggestions of value (or offers) welcome.
regards
Dudley
Dudley Simons wrote:

If your aim is to maximise the price then consider selling the parting tools and holder and the Glanze tipped tool as two separate items on ebay. The number of tools, two chucks and a milling slide should add to the attraction of the package but the selling price will still depend on the quality of the basic machine as I said earlier.
Bob
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 17:44:59 +0100, Dudley Simons
Dudley,

This may be of some use. Recently the model railway society I am a member of got the contents of a workshop (from a member who had passed away) to auction. It was a Perris PL100 lathe of 1960s vintage. The Perris PL90 is one of the later versions of the Flexispeed and the PL100 is the big sister of it. To all intents and purposes, the Perris PL 90 is today's Cowells ME90 without the base and covers.
PL90 http://www.lathes.co.uk/perris/ PL100 http://www.lathes.co.uk/perris/page2.html Cowells http://www.lathes.co.uk/cowells/index.html
This lathe had back gearing and screw cutting and had a large amount of accessories - like 3 jaw, 4 jaw, large set of collets, vertical slide, divider fitting, etc. The owner had been a keen model engineer and clockmaker and this lathe was used mainly for his clock making activities. It was in good running condition and on a base with motor and countershaft.
We valued the lathe and all its accessories at 200. Without the range of accessories, we would probably have valued it around the 100 mark.
An earlier Flexispeed model could possibly get similar money but if it had few accessories and no BGSC facilities, then probably a bit less - possibly in the 30 - 50 range.
Jim.