Clearing out Dads workshop - still ongoing!!

Hi All

I am still trying to rationalise the contents of my late fathers workshop/double garage and could do with some advice.

I have uncovered an old lathe - a Flexispeed Meteor 11 with a feed gear fitted. 3 and 4 jaw chucks, face plate, milling attachment and an assortment of tool bits. Its mounted on a piece of kitchem worktop with a motor and a mains switch giving you fwd off rev.

I have some photos of it I could email if anyone would like a look at it and the bits to go with it - trying to organise a web site but getting nowhere fast!

I need to sell this (and stacks loads of other stuff in due course) to make a bit more space and to raise a few quid.

Question is what is one of these worth? I am guessing that the supply of cheap and cheerful chinese imports has kyboshed the secondhand value of this sort of lathe? :o(

regards

Dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons

Take a look at the website

which is just for the purpose you seek, and is run by the well-respected John Stevenson who is a regular contributor to this newsgroup

Reply to
anon and off

worktop with a

course) to

Stevenson

.. or rather run by his son now!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thats where I was going to put an advert for the Meteor (and here), I did search the site to see if anyojne else had sold a Flexispeed in recent months - no is the answer. Hence my posting here.

Reply to
Dudley Simons

worktop with a

course) to

Stevenson

Dudley,

I think that there is always a steady market for smallish working lathes if the price is right - even if not a name many would know. Homeworkshop is the place to put it.

(BTW the steel stock I had from you has already proved very useful !!)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A sprightly young lad as is our John is old enough to have had children?

Reply to
anon and off

Glad to hear that the steel found a good home!

"if the price is right" thats the dilemma! I have no idea what the right price is for such a thing - I haven't (yet) found another one for sale or that has been sold to get some idea of a price :o(

I don't know if I should be looking for £10, £50 or £100 for it - although I suspect its not £10 ;o)

Any clues as to a fair price gentlemen?

regards

Dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons

sorry, no idea - but if you send me some photos I can post them

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Look at the competition. Typically this is going to be the Seig or similar machines. If your machine is in tip top condition and will turn steel accurately then maybe you can look at 30% of a Sieg max If it is at all slack and really needs work on it to do accurate work then it only worth say £50. If it has a good selection of accessories with it then maybe up to £100 as the purchaser will need to spend out on those to do much useful work with it.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Dudley,

This may be of some use. Recently the model railway society I am a member of got the contents of a workshop (from a member who had passed away) to auction. It was a Perris PL100 lathe of 1960s vintage. The Perris PL90 is one of the later versions of the Flexispeed and the PL100 is the big sister of it. To all intents and purposes, the Perris PL 90 is today's Cowells ME90 without the base and covers.

PL90

This lathe had back gearing and screw cutting and had a large amount of accessories - like 3 jaw, 4 jaw, large set of collets, vertical slide, divider fitting, etc. The owner had been a keen model engineer and clockmaker and this lathe was used mainly for his clock making activities. It was in good running condition and on a base with motor and countershaft.

We valued the lathe and all its accessories at £200. Without the range of accessories, we would probably have valued it around the £100 mark.

An earlier Flexispeed model could possibly get similar money but if it had few accessories and no BGSC facilities, then probably a bit less

- possibly in the £30 - 50 range.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

roughly 200 kB each

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Thanks for hosting those images Peter - I'll have another go at NTL/Virgin over the weekend!

So there we have it gentlemen, one Flexispeed Meteor 11 with assorted goodies, suggestions of value (or offers) welcome.

regards

Dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons

If your aim is to maximise the price then consider selling the parting tools and holder and the Glanze tipped tool as two separate items on ebay. The number of tools, two chucks and a milling slide should add to the attraction of the package but the selling price will still depend on the quality of the basic machine as I said earlier.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin