Conduit taps

Metric conduit taps are all 1.5 mm pitch, but is eg a 16mm conduit tap the same as a standard M16 x 1.5 mm tap?

A 16 x 1.5 mm tap (with another useful tap) went for £2.00 on Ebay this afternoon, and a 16 mm "electricians" conduit tap went for £8.00 a few minutes after.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

thought the conduit they used was black iron with threads that are tapered. all the best...mark

Reply to
mark

I don't think that the overall threads in a metric electrician's conduit thread could be tapered - they tap the conduit for 36 mm length, but the taps are only maybe 10 mm wide. I could be wrong.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Steve_R

I have some old imperial taps which I think are conduit taps. They are up to 1 1/4 inch and 16tpi. Though the smaller ones (below 3/4") are

18tpi. They are straight, not taper. If they are not conduits taps then someone let me know, as that is the only thread I could match to the size.

Steve

Reply to
Steve_R