Copper Boiler Repair - help needed

I have an Elidir (narrow gauge 7.25") locomotive whose boiler has started weeping in an unfortunate place. This place being around the inside of the firehole ring on the inner backhead. Probably one of the most inaccesible places to get at!

Now I would expect that originally this was silver soldered on the other side, i.e. the joint is actually in the water space.

This boiler passed its 2x hydraulic test 18 months ago with flying colours and I can only asume that this may have come about with the stresses of contraction and expansion in its use over the last 18 months (it is a very new engine, barely run in!)

I have tried to caulk it using Comsol (I considered that if I used silver solder there was a too high a risk of doing more damage), but the lack of access (and skill!) has meant that I have reduced but not sealed this leak. Not enought to pass a boiler test!

As a professional engineer, I consider that knowing your level of (in)competence is important, so, is there anyone out there, in the Wiltshire area (or adjacent as I am prepared to travel) who can help me with this task.

This engine is one of two steam engines we use on the Lackham Museum and Woodland Railway (a private hobby railway but run in conjunction with events at a local college) and it would be really nice to have her in service at the end of August so that we can have two engines in steam at one of our busiest events (the Westinghouse Model Railway Event).

I have a selection of Sievert torches and an oxy-propane set up, just not the skills to use them on this job!

The boiler is off the frames and is luggable.

Recompense of an appropriate nature I am sure can be mutually agreed!

Please contact me "off group/list" if you think you can help.

In anticipation

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

If I were in your position I would consider whether it might be politic to be seen to be seeking advice from whoever/wherever is likely to be asked to carry out the next annual inspection.

Reply to
Mike H

Done!

Thanks for the advice/suggestion.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Peter

You also have one of the most skilled boilermakers in the country right on your doorstep. If push comes to shove, talk to Tim Taschimowitz who runs Cheddar Valley Steam. He was formerly the chief boilermaker for Cheddar Models and I have always found him to be very approachable and helpful.

Unit 4 Castle Mills Industrial Estate Biddisham Somerset BS26 2RH

0870 8554511 07789 681977 (mobile)

e-mail snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk --

Chris Edwards