*cough*splutter*choke* how much?

I have just had an 'interesting' conversation with my local bearing & power transmission place!

An immediate project is setting up an old Drummond round-bed lathe for the father-in-law. Got most ever'ting set - just finishing off the counter-shaft - 4 step (not 5. doh) v-belt type pulley. Not wanting to disturb the head-stock spindle, I enquired as to link belting. Z sized for smaller pulleys, obviously.

Approximately =A318 per metre. *choke*! Although, this seems to be somewhat cheaper than the Lathes.co.uk site. Is it therefore a bargin at this price? I spose I shan't want much more than a metre or so.

But, being a bit of a cheep-skate, should I just bosh the head-stock spindle out and be done with it? A Drummond is not so-much of a precision piece of kit, just being in plain bearings, isn't it?

Zed

PS I have dealt with this place before, & they are a 'proper' supplier - in the 'gissa coupla quid for that bearing mate' type place, not yer "ten pounds please sir, that's 90% off list price you know" rip-offs.

Reply to
zedbert

Link belting is expensive. RS want about £100 + VAT for 5 metres. So you're getting a shorter length and paying a lower price per metre. To me £18 per metre doesn't sound too bad.

I'm surprised than you can't replace the belt without dismantling the headstock. That seems a bit awkward. But if it's true, then in your position I think I'd go with the link belting.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

An immediate project is setting up an old Drummond round-bed lathe for the father-in-law. Got most ever'ting set - just finishing off the counter-shaft - 4 step (not 5. doh) v-belt type pulley. Not wanting to disturb the head-stock spindle, I enquired as to link belting. Z sized for smaller pulleys, obviously.

Approximately £18 per metre. *choke*! Although, this seems to be somewhat cheaper than the Lathes.co.uk site. Is it therefore a bargin at this price? I spose I shan't want much more than a metre or so.

But, being a bit of a cheep-skate, should I just bosh the head-stock spindle out and be done with it? A Drummond is not so-much of a precision piece of kit, just being in plain bearings, isn't it?

Zed

PS I have dealt with this place before, & they are a 'proper' supplier - in the 'gissa coupla quid for that bearing mate' type place, not yer "ten pounds please sir, that's 90% off list price you know" rip-offs.

Hi Zedbert, You think what you were asked for a metre of link belting was dear. Ten years ago I paid £54 each for the belts on my lathe and there are six of them £389.70 took me all day to strip the headstock as the shaft weighs about 56lbs, the lathe in question is a Wyvern which I bought new in 1969 so cant complain as the original ones had lasted for 27 years. Regards Ben

Reply to
Ben

Ed, Was Googling and saw Chronos has something similar and possibly cheaper Worth a check and not far to visit? Cheers, mate

Norm .

Reply to
ravensworth2674