D13 backplate

Any recommendations on the best place to buy a part machined D13 backplate.? Mark.

Mark, the last time I was there RDG had some small (6-8") D13 backplates for about 40-45. They were complete with pins but I have no idea of their quality so this is just a pointer not a recommendation as I haven't bought any.
regards
Keith
snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk wrote:

If you find any do tell me. I have two chucks waiting for backplates but perpetual tightness makes me go "How much!" whenever I consider buying them. Almost cheaper to buy a Chipmaster just for the tooling!
Charles
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 03:07:09 -0700 (PDT), Charles Ping

That makes me glad that I got a couple of spare backplates with my Bantam. I expect that will now a cue for Mark to comment on the backplates being worth more than the lathe...<g>
Peter.

Peter,if you had bought these backplates from the places that have been quoting me today I would probably agree with you.
Mark.
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:32:16 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk"

What do you think is doing that, just the price of steel, or perhaps the 18% or so sterling has dropped against the euro? I'm assuming most of these aren't made in the UK anymore.
peter

Just greedy rip-off Britain.
Recent examples:-
2 x circuit boards, UK 2500 USA 200 1 circuit board UK 1475 USA 250 That was over 3000 saved in one week alone.
Diesel UK 6+/gall USA 2 S Africa 3
Base cost of steel worldwide is sub $600/tonne,try buying any kind of steel in the UK for under 640/tonne and I buy by the tonne,it`s rare to place an order for less than one tonne of any given size.I was asked 900 for a tonne of bright mild the other day,they didn`t get it!
Mark.
On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 03:24:46 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk"

Yeah, bloody expensive here is steel!
We're making a new mould tool for a medical product, and as it has to be run in a clean room, it's being made out of Stainless. We order the standard bolster sets from DME or D-M-S, and I've just paid around 1000 for this. Bear in mind that it is basically a cube of 196mmx196mm square by around 230mm deep.
There is some value added into this of course, as all the plates (9 in total) are machined square, flat ground, with concentric holes bored through all 4 corners for guide pillars and bushes, and it includes these with it, but still bloody expensive. The steel is a 1.2085 P20 stainless for the main bolster plates, and EN57 stainless for the rest. And we still have to machine up cores and cavities from Stavax to go with this...
Peter

That makes me feel a lot happier :-)
I was feeling hard done by for paying 205 inc VAT for a 3m length of 2 1/2" bright EN24T. That's 76kg. Your 1000 only bought you 71kg...
Mind you, I went to pick it up and discovered that they hadn't middled the bar as ordered. The lads still offered to try to fit it into the Metro. Helpful chaps these Macready's guys!
Mark Rand RTFM
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 02:18:19 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk"

I have one to sell if you are interested. With pins. 175mm diameter 21mm thick. As far as I know never put an a lathe. I paid 35 for it when I thought that I was getting a Harrisson M300.
Weight 3.79 Kg so Royal Mail standard parcel would be 6.85
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
On 12 Jun, 11:49, Richard Edwards

Richard,do you want to email me your address and I`ll send you a cheque.My email address is valid. Mark.