Ding Dong anyone in ?

I probably can. I think it's already been suggested, though ;-)

Thanks

Tim

Tim Leech

Not quite - I was suggesting, if space permitted, that you *added* a sleeve over the existing spigot, rather than turning away the offending dimples. which look rather deep. --

Chris Edwards

No future in that really, the present OD is a fairly close fit in the bore, which is in a casting that I wouldn't be keen to bore out, alter spring adjuster etc etc. I don't think strength will be a problem if I turn off the whole of the exising detents. This has made me think about another detent shaft in the box, this time a straight shaft with two sets of three detent holes. That shaft isn't hardened, and the balls have ploughed up burrs where they run between the holes, it's had flats filed on it so the burrs don't snag on the selectors. I doubt that that shaft is original, I'm inclined to make a new one & harden it while the thing is in bits. Any views on what sort of temper for a job like this, assuming silver steel (1" dia)?

Thanks

Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

Probably anything from mild tantrum to raging fury depending how it goes ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Years ago it would have been heated to cherry red and quenched in the blood of a virgin. Given the lack of virgins around the north west you'd probably be better going to deep straw.

I believe the last know sighting of a virgin around those parts was in 1952 on a Cadbury's works outing to Blackpool....

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

...with a lapsed virgin, perhaps?

Cheers

Tim

Tim Leech

Yep...she won't stay a virgin long (lapsed or otherwise) in deep straw ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I've just taken the time to look at Iggy's trailer threads and associated photos, and let's just say, I'm glad he's in a totally different country!

The term chicken s**t springs to mind, and there's people commenting that the welds look nice!

And for those who don't frequent sci.engr.joining.welding, here's a link -

moray

He He!, but you've not seem my welding. Then again I would not post any pictures of my stick welding..

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

The welds are probably quite adequate for the job, but he could do with a bit of practice on his verticals ;-)

Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

I can remember an instructor saying that mine where "adequate" with a slight smirk on his face!

Verticals, I had to avoid by repositioning all the time, some of it I put down to just trying to use 6013's general purpose rods, mainly though just not enough time and effort with practice.

It has been some time since I used the stick welder, I must dig it out and pop the garage breaker a few times soon. Problem is finding some plate to play with.

I guess you must be quite good at it Tim considering your restoration projects must call for quite a bit of it Tim?

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

That's the problem! They either:

  • do want to make "i" a favor (that doesn't help anybody)
  • do want to insult me (I don't care)
  • are blind (really sorry for that)
  • can't weld (OK, but then shut up)

OTOH, this discussion doesn't belong here, IMHO. And I won't comment them here any further.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

She's in the cellar, my back hurts, she's making chips, I'll have a beer.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Not straightforward. The boss on the other side of the gear has a tapped & faced hole for a dowel screw, the whole thing is *fairly* hard so drilling & tapping with HSS mgiht be tempting fate. Also the relationship between gear teeth, detents and dowel screw isn't simple & obvious. It might have taxed my brain a bit to reproduce from scratch Done it now with a sleeve in EN8, hardened & tempered, looks the part. Next problem is the straight selector guide/detent rod. Measured the existing one in situ with calipers, 1" round. Great, I've got some 1" silver steel, really simple job to replace it. Took the old rod out, tried to slip a piece of the silver steel in just as a check, found the *bores* are 1" & the bar is a few thou under :-(

12" length with 2 or 3 thou to take off, tricky to turn off especially as it's silver steel & I need a good finish for the selectors to slide on, or a lot to polish off, & I haven't yet got the grinder set up for that sort of job. A simple job has just turned into a bit of a pain, though hardly the end of the world. Ho hum, should have been turning a new propellor shaft this morning.

Tim

Tim Leech

especially

Definately a job for a cylindrical grinder

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew, I *know* that , trouble is the lathe is still in bits, I need it working & don't want to take it apart again another time to finish the job, etc etc..... I've got the capabiity in theory to set up my Cinci T&C grinder to do the job, but the bits aren't all here.... The local machine shop who might have fitted the job in for me has disappeared, the other one I know of tries to avoid using their cyl grinder as it leaks oil everywhere... Whatever I do, it'll be the whole morning gone when I should be getting jobs out of the door.

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

two or three thou will polish off in no time with a bit of decent emery cloth.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

chamfer. I

tapping

morning.

Tim,

If you can get it down to me with the ends suitably centred, I'll pop it in the cylidrical grinder and skim it for you

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Right again, of course John The important bit there is 'decent emery cloth'. I'd tried to make a start last night with some Al oxide 'shop roll', was getting nowhere fast & using up lots of roll. I remembered, on seeing your post, I've got some sheets of 60 grit emery in the 'dock stores', some strips off that, from one sheet only, has done the job, including repolishing with the AlOx, in about half an hour. Memo to self- next time I need some abrasive for the workshop, spend the extra & get proper emery.

Many thanks, and to Andrew for your offer

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

some of what sells as emery cloth is better off on the bottom of bird cages..................