Ding Dong anyone in ?

Very few posts today - anyone in, or has the bomb dropped and no one told me ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I was just thinking the same thing myself...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Nobody here but us chickens....

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I'm on me break...

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

and the odd Fox

Reply to
campingstoveman

No time! Lathe arrived today, have to get jobs out of the shop. Lot's a mess, no space, no time ... :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Lot's a

I thought you were full time on 'annoy Iggy' duty over on sci.engr.joining.welding !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

We could use the odd fox up the hosses' field. Since the pheasant-rearing guy trapped the resident, we have been overrun with bl**dy rabbits!!

Peter

Prepair Ltd

A poor life this if full of care. We have no time to stand and stare.

Must look for me nuts

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Nice new toys to play with ;) This variable speed drive and motor are nice - pity the pulley does not fit the shaft :(

Reply to
Lester Caine

Just during breaks! I just welded two *frames* . But not for a trailer ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Bin busy working away for three days, now trying to catch up with 'real' work.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I hope that includes moving machines so Mark can get on with his hobbing

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

End of the month, invoices to get out, payments to get in. Besides that I have no workshop to play in at the moment:(

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I'm alright, I've made a frame, wheel head and spindle for a toolpost grinder. The spindle is 8" long with a (straight) 5/16" clearance hole through it. Gun drills are fun.

Got to try to hack out some motor brackets now.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Most of the *heavy* moving is done now, I can actually *see* (and touch!) the hobber. The next stage is waiting until I can finish a bit of dry-lining & insulation in the house, the sheet materials are stored in the workshop and interfering with the *plan*. Also decided to put some new bearings in the DSG (they arrived today) and sort out some worn detents on the gear selectors whilst I'm at it.

shows one of the problems. This should just have 4 drillings, maybe with a slight chamfer. I reckon I've got two options. First is to do some careful measurement, fill the whole lot with weld then turn to size & redrill. The other is to put something into the drilled holes, of the same diameter, which any filler used won't stick to, and try to fill around them with bronze. I've wondered about using little sticks of graphite, my concern is that I might have trouble getting the bronze to flow around the graphite. Anyone ever tried anything like this? I could even try metal spraying it with some machineable powder, but my limited experience of this suggests there might be at least as much of a problem with flowing as with bronze. The gear is probably heat treated, but it's only a selector gear and would probably see me out even if I destroy the heat treatment (which I would try not to do) I suppose one more option is to ask DSG for the price of a new one

Cheers

Tim

Tim Leech

Turn the end off to get rid of the detents leaving the boss top hatted. make a ring up out of silver steel to fit, drill for detents, harden and temper, loctite and press on.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Thanks John, sounds like a good plan. I may not have any silver steel of big enough dia., but certainly have EN8 so I reckon that should do the job. I'll have a go at the weekend.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Would that work making new ones on the other side?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I take it that you can't simply sleeve it, perhaps modifying the detente to suit, and re-drill? --

Chris Edwards