Knock knock, anyone in?

Looking very quiet today, just wondering if everyone's gone away. Martin

--

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 23:54:50 +0100, "Martin Whybrow"

Came home from work. Did a bit of woodspoiling in the shed (2 off 9'6" bookshelves for the ME&MEW collection :). Nothing much else happening.
Mark Rand RTFM

    Not true. You just spent a few minutes of your time to write a knowledgeable and useful little answer to Dave about dehumidifiers. Many people, world wide, are now just a little wiser for your effort - not bad for an amateur carpenter :}
    Thank you.

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 23:54:50 +0100, "Martin Whybrow"

I was having a quiet day after a couple of arduous weeks of 'site work', climbing up & down ladders all day to fix a big gearbox. All up & running now, but there's a bit of in situ machining to do next week to true up a coupling, I have a plan for that involving a toolpost grinder and an old lathe compound slide. I'll post some pics next week,* if* it's successful <G>
Tim
On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 10:11:34 +0100, Tim L

Ah Go on post them anyway. Then we can all say "He didn't think that would work did he?" Then throw in a myriad of ideas that are probably just as hairy <G>
Out of interest how far out is the coupling, TIR? I assume its the coupling on the gearbox.
Richard
On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 13:36:01 +0100, Richard Edwards

I've revised the plan already, after some measuring up. There isn't room for the TP grinder unless I upend it on an angle bracket. That would mean adding a belt tensioner, as it relies on the motor weight for belt tension. Plan B uses an old Wolf bench grinder which I've dug out from deep storage, the wheels are well worn but the bearings seem pretty good. Surface finish is of fairly low importance anyway in this context.
Runout is around 12 - 15 thou AFAIR on an OD of circa 11", it was worse but a bit of freehand work with a flap disc has reduced it considerably so that we could run the thing for a little while. It's not a simple 'runout' issue but a combination of distortion/damage to the flange with runout resulting from some time (apparently) running slack on its taper.
Tim
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 23:54:50 +0100, "Martin Whybrow"

Still here. Just put togther my lastest toy - a Union T&C grinder. Missing the motor/grinding head (as a lot are) but otherwise not too horrible when the grime and rust was removed .Luckily at bench grinder fits perfectly in place of the motor. Lacking tooling aswell but it's a start.
Charles
On or around Fri, 3 Oct 2008 23:54:50 +0100, "Martin Whybrow"

I've had the lurgy. In the meantime, I've been mig-welding stainless. Got some stainless 8mmx1mm wall tube, which I can bend in a normal hand micorbore bender. Stainless mig wire is an arm and a leg but welds OK with coogar mix gas.
Making custom racks for a trike. works quite well, too.