Direct exhaust slide valve?

Hi All, I am building a steam engine based on bits of an incomplete 10H casting kit I was given. I have machined a cylinder from cast iron bar stock, and created the flat face on it for a slide valve,but now theres a small problem... The original casting is not round, but egg shaped in cross section. This means there is room for the exhaust port in the casting. my round cylinder does not have room. I have been thinking of alternatives, and so far the simplest seems to be a 'direct exhaust' slide valve, where instead of the slide being solid it has a tube attached to it to direct the exhaust out to the opposite side of the valve chest (also missing, and not made yet.) if I 'telescoped' another one of these on the other end I think the inlet steam pressure would keep both sides on their respective seats, one on the cylinder, and one on what is normally the valve chest cover? Has anyone done anything like this? I am not sure how to make the tesecoping tube steam tight, would grooves packed with gland packing do?

poor ascii representation:

|exhaust| | | Inlet

---------- -------------- --- | | | ------- ------ | | | | || || | | |------------------------------ Valve rod

| | | | | | -------- ------- | | | |

------- -------------- ---------- / / port face \ \

any other ideas or hints would be appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
david.sanderson

What you describe sounds vaguely like what I would recognise as a 'balanced slide valve' as fitted to my loco. The seal is by 'O' rings and there is a light spring to keep the parts in contact when there is no steam in the steam-chest to do so. If you want more detail as to how it works I could attempt to photocopy of the drawings of the relevant parts and post if you let me have an address off-list.

Reply to
Mike H

Yes.

What you have drawn is roughly the idea of a 'balanced slide valve' in which the central communicating port between the two parts of the valve has an area similar to that of the valve's port face. This means that the steam chest pressure cannot press the valve on to the port face with unnecessary force - the forces are balanced.

In a model engine the seal and the light separation force required can both be provided by lightly squeezing an O-ring between two faces. The valve rod needs to drive the valve through a yoke large enough to encompass the telescopic sleeves.

But.

You must have sufficient metal between the cylinder bore and the port face for the steam passages, and to bolt the steam chest to. That should also be enough thickness for an exhaust port. I don't think I understand what the problem is.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

Good, someone has been here before :)

The problem is caused by the cylinder being round, and a slight c*ck up on my part. I meant to offset the bore, but forgot. (out with the dti, center bar in 4 jaw, make nice part, then Doh! moment) now it is bored to a nice finish and the cylinder head gland is perfectly centered i'd rather use this one, and if the design ends up a bit unusual well its not from any published drawings anyway. The Cylinder is made from 40mm dia cast iron bar, with a bore of 0.750" (good traditional mixing of units...) This leaves a wall thickness of ~10 mm. but the port face is machined directly onto the cylinder so end on it is D shaped. this reduces the wall thickness to ~6mm. Im sure i can fit the cylinder end to port face steam passages into this (although they might have to be a bit smaller than optimal?), but i am less confident about the exhaust port passage. Apart from the drilling into the edge of a 'circle' and ensuring the drill doesn't wander into the cylinder looking at some 10V's the exhaust appears to be approx

1/4" which is 6mm...

As for steam chest studs, there is 3 mm clearance between the bore (~19mm) and the edge of the port face (1" ~25mm) which has a depth of the width of the cylinder at that point, approx 32mm. If i can put the exhaust out without having another hole in the cylinder casting it also makes it less likely Ill end up having to start again on it...

I have also considered a 'cross flow' where there is an inlet slide valve and an exhaust one on the other side, however the steam pressure that normally keeps a slide valve sealed works the wrong way for the exhaust one, quite apart from having to make 2 sets of valve gear, hence the direct exhaust idea.

Dave

Reply to
david.sanderson

Can you braze a piece of material onto the cylinder? Silver solder works well for "sweating" on a bit extra.

Here is a cylinder I fabricated rather than buying the casting:

This was a practice piece I made from drawn gunmetal. It too was not a cylindrical casting in the original. Don't know if the same trick would solve your slide valve problem.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Thanks for the description and offer, hopefully I can figure it out now I know Im not in unexplored territory. I hadnt considered the need for a spring to seal when there is low / no pressure, but its obvious now.

Dave

Reply to
david.sanderson

Being fairly new to silver soldering would this work for cast Iron? The steam chest stud could go all the way through and into the original cylinder piece, there is enough material for them. maybe just a gasketed joint would work?

Might do. I hadnt thought of sticking more on... would also mean I could make the port face complete and then 'just' match it up to the cylinder.

hmm lots more to think about now, thanks :)

Dave

Reply to
david.sanderson

Silver solder seems to work with cast iron and its something I only started to use quite recently. You do need plenty of heat - a propane torch is good.

I posted "great grandad's cylinder set". This has a steam chest bolted onto the cylinder. There is a brass sheet and a paper gasket between the chest and the cylinder and the chest is bolted down using studs.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

having looked more closely now that the cylinder and base are 'assemblable' it turns out that a 1/4" port face block actually lines the portface up better with where the eccentric will be :) I happen to have some 1/4" gauge plate, and having a removable portface will make making the ports simple :) win win would hardening the portface be a good or bad idea?

thanks for the ideas

Dave

Reply to
david.sanderson