Dissolving steel in Brass

I've got a 1.2mm drill snapped off in some brass, is there any way
dissolving it out? I thinkI remember something about Alum.
Thanks Alan
Reply to
ora
Alum is correct Alan. Dissolve alum in water and immerse your lump of brass overnight.
Cliff Coggin Kent UK
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
Wear gloves to avoid dissolving Alan in Alum
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Wear RUBBER gloves to avoid dissolvig gloves and Alan in alum
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
Many Thanks Alan
Reply to
ora
I frequently have to remove steel pins from brass musical bo
cylinders. The stuff to use is dilute Sulphuric Acid (Car Battery Acid).
Please be careful with it, its not for playing with !!
Sharpen your drills with a tiny flat on the cutting edge, it wont gra then.
Phi
-- pgp00 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp001's Profile:
this thread:
pgp001
Surely that will dezincify the brass? Won't you end up with a copper sponge ?
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Hi Andrew
A fair point.
You must not leave it in any longer than is needed to remove the pins this is how it has been done for the last 100 years or so and it seem to work a treat if you are careful with the acid strength, typically 1 hours will do the job in dilute Sulphuric.
Phi
this thread:
pgp001