Dissolving steel in Brass

I've got a 1.2mm drill snapped off in some brass, is there any way dissolving it out? I thinkI remember something about Alum.

Thanks Alan

Reply to
ora

Alum is correct Alan. Dissolve alum in water and immerse your lump of brass overnight.

Cliff Coggin Kent UK

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Wear gloves to avoid dissolving Alan in Alum

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Wear RUBBER gloves to avoid dissolvig gloves and Alan in alum

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Many Thanks Alan

Reply to
ora

I frequently have to remove steel pins from brass musical bo

cylinders. The stuff to use is dilute Sulphuric Acid (Car Battery Acid).

Please be careful with it, its not for playing with !!

Sharpen your drills with a tiny flat on the cutting edge, it wont gra then.

Phi

-- pgp00

----------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp001's Profile:

this thread:

pgp001

Surely that will dezincify the brass? Won't you end up with a copper sponge ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hi Andrew

A fair point.

You must not leave it in any longer than is needed to remove the pins this is how it has been done for the last 100 years or so and it seem to work a treat if you are careful with the acid strength, typically 1 hours will do the job in dilute Sulphuric.

Phi

-- pgp00

this thread:

pgp001