Elliot Sturdimill

I have purchased an Elliot Sturdimill 1000 which needs some work, i
there anyone who has any technical info on these.
One thing in particular I am trying to separate the cross feed moto
from the gearbox, I need to get it out in order to remove correspondin
shaft but although all four bolts that hold it to the case are out
can't persuade it to come out.
It could be just siezed in but if there is any thing I've missed pleas
windymille
--
windymille
windymiller's Profile:

windymiller
View this thread:
Wow, somebody else with a Sturdimill! I've got a 1250 Universal and I've had to repair the feed gearbox recently. The motor has a keyed shaft fitted into the primary shaft of the gearbox, but there's a grubscrew holding the shaft and it's inside the gearbox :-( I was fortunate enough that the previous owners (who bodged every repair on this mill) had left the screw out so I was able to remove the motor easily; you are probably going to be less fortunate. If you decide you must remove the motor, you may have to remove the gearbox; if it's like the 1250 it's a real sod to get off, however if it looks anything like this:
's a different arrangement to the 1250 (
) so the method I used to remove it and, more importantly, refit it won't work. If you need to get a manual, Tony at lathes.co.uk may well be able to supply you with a copy; however you may find that although the manual is full of nice diagrams, it's near useless when you actually have to dismantle the thing. BTW, if you need spares, I can put you in touch with a place that helped me out with a few of the many parts I needed for mine (I've had to make all the other parts I needed). Good luck, Martin
Reply to
Martin Whybrow
The mill I have is the "universal" (bottom on web page with the tiltin
head facility). The box is off and every thingt is now out the gears being stuck wit the treacle that was once red machine oil, however I have still had no luck getting the motor out although with the flange bolts out the moto turns on the mount it's obviously attached by the shaft (whether sieze in bearing or fixed in some way that isn't obvious (the bearing turn smoothly)). The signs of rust are amazing considering the afore mentioned treacl was over everything. I hope the picture I have attached comes out OK
this thread:
windymiller
View this thread:
I didn't see any picture; can you put it on-line somewhere? Martin
Reply to
Martin Whybrow