EU gives up on Metric Britain

At last!

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

And the reason is in the article

"Every one of Britain's road signs would have had to be changed from miles to kilometres - a move which opponents warned would be both expensive and confusing."

Whilstever Joe Public is footing the bill for scales, pumps and other expenditure once the government has to stick it's hand in it's purse it's a different matter.

I'll bet most pressure came from this source and not the general public who don't count anyway.

Reply to
John Stevenson

With respect, Peter, you didn't quite get the facts right. Whatever exists, has yet to be ratified! Metrication continues but Imperial can continue as an addition.

In a few days, I am going to a Euro currency country. Would it surprise you to find that the old Spanish peseta is shown on foodstuffs?

What is happening in Europe is that the dominating languages are being replaced- by the old Langue D'Oc and Menorquian as examples.

So not so fast, eh?

And me Spanish plumbing is ---- shhhhhhhhh-- ---Imperial

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I'd be surprised, if the country was Germany :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Driving down the M1 a couple of weeks ago (off my territory, I know!) I passed a sign:-

"No hard shoulder for 2000m"

Shortly afterwards, another sign:-

"Junction 7, 1m"

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Shock horror! What, you mean some other countries don't universally accept the EU, quelle surprise !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Err Mark, if I recall correctly, Germany also uses Turkish which could be a delight for some but explosive for others!

I was in Garmisch, last week and the ads were in American!- and I don't mean in MacDonalds.

Now the Spanish count- well my lot- up to 10 in French and thereone in Spanish- that is where the town is called ''God with us' which sounds a bit German but Alayor is Arabic!

That's where the plumbing is Imperial and Lord Nelson bought a villa on the proceeds of his holiday insurance when he lost an eye and an arm!

For the others, that is where I paid =A37500 and it's worth =A3300, 000 now.

Confused? Not me!

Reply to
ravensworth2674

No, I meant that I would be surprised to see food priced in pesetas in Germany :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Millions of tourists and US-barracks. That's the reason. And you could also pay in US$ at a "fair" exchange-rate. :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Wooot! I think they should place the signs at least 500m before. And not just 1m. :-)))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Come Nick, be realistic.

The Brits have crashes laughing at the 'Fahrt' signs on the autobahns.

cheers

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Not to mention the number of them that were hopelessly lost, looking for it on the map!

Sorta like the tourists on the Canadian prairies, (yes, there are tourists on the prairies! Really!) looking for "Pool" on the map.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Some of the US signs are scary - there's a sign on the freeway north of San Diego that says "Cruise ships use airport exit". That one had me looking in the rear view mirror

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Nick, Turn right into St Martin's Strasse past the barracks?

Or turn left and-well- no! My wife was there.

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

In message , Tony Jeffree writes

My favourite Americanism (seen on boarding an aircraft) is still "Carry-ons under the seat are forbidden"!

Reply to
Mike Hopkins

It's not just abroad as you go into Wales, mind you that is abroad isn't it ? [ stop at Chester, change your money and have your passport stamped. ] the signs are dual language, English and Welsh.

As you approach the services it says Services [ of course ] followed by a Welsh word that looks very similar to Gastroenteritis which is very fitting for most of the UK's service areas.

Reply to
John Stevenson

LOL! Man, I never noticed that. I really have to wipe the tears out of my eyes!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

All quoted verbatim from the BBC webpage, including the headline....

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

Nick, Serious question!

Normally my wife and I go a place called Berwang near the Fern Passe. Hence the Garmisch etc reference. Coming back on 1st Sept we went A7, to A8 to A5 hoping to get on the D500 into France over the Rhine etc and up to St Quentin and on. OK, we got to south of Karlsruhe but into a over 4 hour traffic jam between there and the D500. towards Strasbourg. Any idea what it was or whether this is normal, [ We take part in a charity event on a usually annual trip.

No jokes, fellas, this little church needs all the help that it can get.

Reply to
ravensworth2674

OK. That route is the right one. Don't try to go straight west from Garmisch to Mulhouse (Basel area) or you'll be lost! Don't ask how I know! The A5 is the only gate to southern France and Spain and there is a lot of traffic, especially if you decide to take that road on a Friday afternoon or the usual rushhours in the afternoon. But I don't know of any special event that might have been the cause (also don't care anything for traffic reports).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller