European study on cadmium-bearing brazing materials

Hello,

I work for a company (Risk & Policy Analysts Ltd, based in the United Kingdom) which is currently undertaking the impact assessment of potential restrictions on cadmium on behalf of the European Commission. We are looking (among other things) on the impacts from a potential restriction (i.e. a ban) on the use of cadmium-bearing brazing fillers.

We would like to hear from DIY (and professional) users of cadmium- bearing and cadmium-free brazing materials and ask them questions on the relevant applications, conditions of use, health and safety issues and the technical and cost comparison between Cd-bearing and Cd-free products. Providing responses to our list of questions should not take longer than 5 minutes of a respondent=92s time but we would, of course, also welcome reasoned responses of any length.

We have already received responses from a number of users, predominantly based in the United Kingdom. However, we would like to hear from users from the UK and from outside the UK; non-EU perspectives (for instance, common practices, local legislation, etc.) would also be very useful to us.

I would be grateful if participants in this newsgroup me, should they wish to be involved and have their voices heard before the European Commission proceeds with any proposal for a ban. We would greatly appreciate it if this study comes to the attention of as many users of cadmium bearing and non-cadmium bearing brazing materials as possible to allow for a balanced analysis of the potential impacts from a ban and the assessment of the advantages and drawbacks of alternative materials.

I can be contacted at this email address: panos (dot) zarogiannis (at) rpaltd (dot) co (dot) uk

Thank you in advance for your interest and hospitality in this forum and apologies for the length of this message. If any of you require any additional background information (e.g. the legislative background to this study or our company), please do not hesitate to send me a PM or an email at the above address.

Many thanks, Panos Zarogiannis RPA Ltd

Reply to
panosz