Experimental Induction Furnace

wrote:

output,
Well it was being used to produce stainless steel shell mould castings each of 12Kgs in a foundry in France (yes it's well travelled!). The actual crucible and coil are mounted rather like a concrete mixer, in that they can be totally inverted, and the shell mould is fixed to the top of the crucible. When the charge was molten, the whole kaboosh would be inverted filling the shell mould. The size of the driver is way too big for the size of the crucible, so I imagine they did it that way to get fast production rates. I intend to make a somewhat bigger pot assembly with perhaps 50-75 lbs of cast iron , and use it in a tilt mode direct into conventional greensand moulds. Jan Rawlings of The Todd Engine Works (Stateside) is melting 75 lbs at a time using a 50 KW induction furnace, but that one isn't electronic, its a motor/generator set so effectively the operating frequency is set. Mine 'pings' the coil occasionally, tests the resonant frequency, and sets itself at that setpoint using a microprocessor. The power thyristors are as big as teacups and mounted on water cooled copper heatsinks, The buss bars taking in the 3 phase are 25mm x 5mm copper !!!!
AWEM
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:40:25 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

But will we still be able to get scrambled eggs and a cup of coffee when we call ?
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:47:55 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

Or caught in the magnetic field <G>
Mark Rand RTFM
Great project! Doesn't it radiate masses of rf interference though?
Scrim

No, those of us living A^*$^( within a few miles of Andrew $%^$*Q"&$Q$^($(Q&*_Q$&()Q$&)(Q$Q hardly notice any effects "$&R**RTG*Y EWRGTE^&TR*YTR at all.
Except for \"&^^$*^$&$&$*$()"$*& those with pacemakers who &$^(&$(^$*&$*($^&*%"^ hardly ever complain.
More than $)^$&*^"(%"!^&%"*T$("%(*"% once.
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Bridgeport, a CNC Taig Mill, a Colchester
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 01:49:31 +0100, Nigel Eaton

I gather that's a Lucas pacemaker Nigel ?
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 06:55:38 GMT, John Stevenson

Past tense, John <G>
Regards, Tony