fao rickman

Since you asked, the Woodward account agrees with your assertion that the synchroniser on a hit acts to increase the force of gravity, although I think it would be better expressed by expressing the total restoring force resultant.

Just purchased a Synchronome clock so need to take time off to go and collect it and then play with it.

Would be interested to know your own involvement in horology as you profess in some depth?

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

I would be interested to hear what sort of accuracy you get it rated to. Can't find any links on the web, but the 1930's IBM I have here was still within a second after 4 weeks, though it has slipped a few seconds now. Varied around 1/2 second from time to time, but that averaged out over the month. Have a Pulsynetic as well, similar design to the Synchronome, but not running it at present. The IBM series were speced at 15 seconds a month for the solenoid wound model, but they are much better than that. The weight driven models are quite a bit better...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I need "time" to evaluate that!

But I'm more interested in it as a museum piece for I doubt that SWMBO will tolerate a 30 second clunk for 24 / 7 :-)

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote on 8/8/2017 11:37 AM:

My interest in horology came from a project I have worked on intermittently over the years to design a self powered timepiece. I believe there is one in existence that uses variations in air pressure to generate power to keep a mechanical clock running. My interest is in an electronic clock that will not only power itself, but will synchronize with radio time signals. Researching an appropriate antenna design was also what brought me to the various ham radio groups. At one point I developed an interest in becoming a ham but the extreme rancor displayed in many of the ham groups has dulled my interest.

While researching some aspects of these clocks, I ran across the Shortt and Fedchenko clocks. Both amazing time pieces. The more I examine the Shortt clock simulation the more I learn about it. I recently understood that it does not need to use electricity. The electrical components simply provide a means of transversing the vacuum seal of the master pendulum housing. The secondary gravity arm could be used as a mechanical escapement to directly control a clock mechanism inside the vacuum chamber. I'm sure this was not done because they wanted the electrical contacts anyway since it was derived from a Synchronome clock to begin with which is used to drive many other clocks from one high accuracy master.

I think the functionality of the Shortt clock could be duplicated by an all mechanical equivalent using strong magnets to relay mechanical movement across the vacuum barrier. It would involve large movements of magnets which is the antithesis of normal clock works, but I expect it could be managed if one were obsessed. lol

BTW, when you say you bought a "Synchronome clock", do you mean one of the approximately 100 Shortt free pendulum electric astronomical regulators built by Synchronome Co. Ltd? Synchronome built many types of clocks.

Reply to
rickman

Please do not be put off ny the rancour you see in radio groups. I, for one, have been campaigning for years that the discussion in uk.radio.amateur whould be both gentlemanly and technically relevant, and, as you say, my detractors pile in on me, unfortunately.

Again Philip Woodward describes in his books a variation of the Shortt but using mechanical coupling between the master and slave, and to prevent the pendulums coming into joint resonance because of vibrational coupling via the backplate, has them going at different prime numbers of period.

I should be so lucky! ...

It is just the same type of Synchronome used as the slave in the Shortt system, but with no sign of any other coupling. I'd suspect that should

Not sure which NG you are reading, perhaps limit to just alt.horology to keep things civilised?

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote on 8/8/2017 2:06 PM:

That makes sense. With the Shortt clock electrical connection the units can be in entirely different rooms or even buildings to isolate any mechanical coupling.

One point I forgot in my thinking was that the slave pendulum times the release of the gravity lever. So even if the gravity level were armed mechanically, it still requires the slave pendulum to control its timing. Otherwise some sort of escapement is required that will load the free pendulum.

Reply to
rickman

This may be of interest Gareth, used to see them everywhere.

Rambo

Yes, bookmarked.

And, if you have the "contacts" to get me (at least :-) ) one, I'll even QSO with you as an intermediate! :-)

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

If you'd have asked me 25 years ago..... !

Reply to
Rambo

I know what you mean, because 30 years ago I was working on PABX software interfacing with the old way of doing things, DASS, DPNSS, SSDC and SSAC, and I treasure my copy of Atkinson's Telephony!

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

Could have done it easily 25 years ago......most disappeared off the wall as soon as the exchange changed over! A receipt for "miscellaneous scrap" covered everything.

Reply to
Rambo