feed rates

I am about to machine some CX120 brass into a name plate by cnc with a

0.025" carbide endmill. The maximum speed of my X1 is 2000 rpm so I guessed a 0.003" cut at 0.003" depth was reasonable. Worked out the table feed rate from: cut x No. teeth x rpm as 0.003 x 2 x 2000 =12"/min This seems rather fast to me. Any advice on a sensible feed rate please?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

No, sounds OK if the mill can stand the 0.076mm feed per cut.

**Ooops!** Looking at the cutting book, it says: Diameter of mill (carbide) 1mm, in brass, feedrate per tooth should be 0.007mm. For 0.5mm diam, it says 0.003mm. Data for final cut.

So you are a factor of 10 over the suggested value.

HTH, Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller