Flexible connection with spring innside

I have an old 12 volt generator driven by a JAP engine. Connection between motor and generator is like two cups outside diametre 55 mm, distance between them 8 mm, connected with a spring innside. Outside it was a hose or sheet of canvas covered with rubber fastend with hose clamps. Seen from the generator JAP is running anticlock spring is righthand. When I turn the generator against motor direction ends of the spring comes to a stop. How firm should the hose clamps be. I guess I should turn the generator against motor direction before fastening hose. Hope someone are able to help Knut Bergen Norway

Reply to
Knut Pedersen

campingstoveman

From what I have seen on the rally field with these is that the drive is through the hose so the clips should be tight enough to grip.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

So is the purpose of the spring simply to stop the hose collapsing?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I think so as it would not unless very thick transmit much power.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Reply to