Flypress handle??

A friend of mine has just aquired a reasonable flypress with a bodged handle made from what looks like a recycled pickaxe handle. Really a new one is needed.

The real handle needs to fit a tapered hexagon about 1 inch across and have the usual flypress balls etc. Does anyone know where we'd find one?

ta

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Hexagon or Octagon? All the ones I have seen are 8 sided

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Does tha mean you're swamped with hexagon versions?

I'll check and report back.

And Mike, last time I visited our printers it was all CTP!

Charles Ping

I've checked and it's hexagon alright. It tapers from 3/4" at the top to 1 1/4" over 3 inches. Suppose we'll have to make one - which would be easier with a shaper!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Might be worth a trip to your local scrap metal yard (NOT a car breakers!) to see what they have. The one I go to 'had' some flypresses a while back in the junk pile, but I haven't been for a few weeks and they may have gone by now.

I have one myself complete with handle and balls so wasn't interested for myself.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Yes Charles,

But what did they do with the old kit?! :)

Have you looked in their shed out the back?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

As usual John's idea sems sound. I might even start with 1/2 inch strip and mill the slope on it so that it's parallel when welded up - that would make it tougher.

Sadly Peter's idea of visiting a proper scrapyard is scuppered by the lack of them in thsi part of the world. There must be a decent one in Colchester with it's industrial past so if anyone know of one please shout!

Reply to
Charles Ping

........as I was saying before technologly cut me off mid typing!

Mike's observation of printers may be valid but again, the only ones I know can print magazines and newspaper by the million but tend not to have redundant kit. However the litho plates do provide a ready source of thin aluminium!

Thanks to all

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Try doe's they sometimes have machinery they where braking some CNC mills a wile back

Reply to
Andrew Bishop