Kettering Rally :-))

At last! a rally with some real goodies to spend money on...

We popped over this morning, the site is only 5 miles from Rushden so no big trip for a change.

Not a huge show, but a reasonable turn-out of engines, a couple of nice old EV Bamfords, Hugh Stannard's Shanks running very nicely indeed, we reckoned it was firing every 16 turns of the flywheel or less ! a Blackstone a bit further up whose owner's name eluded me although I did look and the usual smaller engines. There was also an early A series Lister genny set which was dated at 1927 IIRC, but looked wrong for some reason..

Steam engines were there, not huge numbers but quite comfortable to watch and smell :-))

The motorcycles were pretty good for such a smallish show, one of the better turn-outs we have seen this year, and the range of exhibits was wider than usual.

A self-propelled howitzer caught my eye, the axles of which were made by Faun, same people who make those rather large heavy tractors that Alstom use up and down the country. I could see an engine under the cover between the axles and the prop shafts out to the geared hubs, but couldn't find anything to tell me what the engine was. It was used to move the gun when in position only, it being towed on the road by a big Scammel or Mighty Antar.

One of the advantages of being early is that you get the pick of bits on display, albeit having to take the chance of a higher asking price. The first bits we saw were a selection of new PCV/Nylon tarpaulins. These were the 'proper' material as used on truck tilts etc., and I was expecting a heavy price, but the guy started at £80, and after a discussion I bought 2 at £50 each. They were too heavy for me to lift so we went back for the van to load them up. There were 5 left as we came away, and I have a mobile number for the vendor if anyone else wants to contact him. He is based down Gloucester way.

Next goodie was a very nice Cambridge Instruments laboratory AC current, watts and volts test set, all in a fitted mahogany box with those nice big selector knobs that are sooooo tactile :-)) That was a tenner. Needs a bit of TLC as the box lid is off a different instrument and the leather handle was torn, but the movement was very nice indeed, something very collectible IMO.

On to other stalls, Rita bought some goodies of her own to compete with my own runaway attempt at emptying her purse (I had left my wallet behind in the factory last night... ) The we saw Mr MacGowan lurking behind his counter and wandered over to have a chat.

Mac always looks as if he has the whole world on his shoulders, but he is a pretty sharp guy underneath it all and we get on OK. he had a new Rototherm thermometer and adapter, all in stainless steel, which was very suitable for the Ruston 1ZHR which lost its own one before we bought it, so that joined the pile for another tenner.

Last of all was a small selection of manuals/leaflets, Gardner 6LX/6LXB spares catalogue for £1, and there was a CAV BPF/BPE pump book inside that, a Feredo fan belt master catalogue and a Rolls-Royve special tools catalogue for diesel engines, these last two being 50p each.

We had to come out of the field to get more cash for the tarps, but altogether we spent about 4 hours there and felt that it had been time well spent.

I'll measure the tarps as soon as it cools off outside.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Feredo should of course be "Ferodo"

Rolls-Royve should be "Rolls-Royce"

Sorry for the typos...

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Thanks to Kim I'm sure we all read it correctly :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Well, I've got blisters on my hands from using scissors to cut these up into manageable pieces, but I have ended up with 8 sheets of about 10ft square with reinforced sides, and extra cross webbing on one of them.

They were trailer side sheets from curtainsider trailers, the dark blue one was plain but the white one opened up to reveal the huge logo of a well-known crisp manufacturer!

Both were brand new and the material is obviously in very good nick, so a few of the outdoor machines have a better waterproof cover for the coming winter, the old polypropylene sheets really only good for one season, or two if you are lucky and don't have resident cats that sharpen their claws on them :-((

I cleaned up the Cambridge Instruments test set, had a h*ll of a job getting the sticky labels off the front, but a combination of warm water and meths did the job without affecting the moulded front panel. It looks very nice indeed, probably more pleased with that purchase than the other stuff !

Peter

Peter A Forbes

"Roland wrote > Thanks to Kim I'm sure we all read it correctly :-)

Wot, 'cos I always write "Rolls-Royce" instead of "RR" or "Rolls" or the dreadful "roller"?

I spent a number of years with Rolls-Royce cars in the 1970's and the training stuck .

Leave me alone, my brain cell is very clean ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I like old electrical instruments and bought a Wheatstone Bridge in excellent condition at the Sort Out last March and an interesting forties car test centre from my own club rally.

Although I spent a chunk of my working life in the motor trade, I'd never seen one before and it has many functions for checking coils, starters, dynamos etc. Underneath the panel was a drawer that was stuck fast and when I eventually got it open it was full of - ta-da! - the original testing cables!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

They do hark back to a 'better' time when brushed aluminium and push-on control knobs were the norm for most cheap stuff.

We had a load of these at Mullards in the Standards Room, a spell in which all us lowly apprentices had to spend as part of the training.

Mostly stripping Avo 8's and 7's down and changing the ac rectifier and then retyping the calibration adjustment sheet which was stuck on the side.

They had a Frequency Standard there as well, tuned to Rugby IIRC.

Although it was somewhat boring if things were quiet, the guy who ran it (Fred Fisher) was good enough to impart his knowledge of other matters of interest, including amateur radio of which I seem to remember he was a great fan.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Methinks he was talking about your spelling post of a few days ago. |>))

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gates

We were also at the Kettering rally, in fact our stall was three down from the guy with the tarps. I unwrapped the large red one and a blue one on Saturday night to get sizes but they had cut them none to straight at about 10' wide and we were looking for 12 to 13' width for a job. Didn't actually buy anything this time, was tempted by an arbor press on a stall opposite the gun carriage that I managed to get down to ten quid but it was only 13" daylight hight, not quite enough to get a gear / pulley under with guide and a 12" or 13" broach.

Saw a large lister mounted on a low loader being driven off site on Saturday night, didn't see it again so I don't know if it moved on to another show. Straight 4 or 6, just the engine, must have weighed in about

7 to 10 ton.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Didn't see you, John, what were you selling ?? We must have walked past a few times and nothing came out and grabbed us :-))

Didn't fancy the colours ! I looked down the ends of the rolls first, and the two I picked had a fair bit more material in them than the blue ones on the floor, the red was pretty bright and wouldn't fit in with the home decor....

Saw that one, sat on the floor ? Looked a bit Taiwanese but for a tenner wasn't a bad buy. We have a UK made slightly smaller one which does us for the very occasional times we need one, but a cheapy large one is always useful if Tim Leech doesn't get there first!! :-))

Gee, that would be some engine, might have been a Lister-Blackstone, Listers themselves never made anything bigger than the JW although the JP series were probably heavier.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Not looking any more! Got a nice big proper J&S manual broaching press from RDG via ebay a couple of weeks ago - 24" daylight, double reduction gearing. Went for a quarter of what they & I were expecting Does mean the nearly new ratcheting arbor press I got from John is looking for a new home (12" daylight).

There was a bigger (british) arbor press on a stand went unsold on ebay a couple of weeks ago, nobody even bid 15 quid on it - guy in Worksop, I've got his email if you're interested.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech