Prestwood rally

I've been going to the Chiltern traction engine club's rally at Prestwood for longer than I care to remember and in recent years I was beginning to wonder if it was more out of habit than anything else. Then last year it was rained off and I half suspected that might be that as far as my attendance was concerned. But this year it was back and so was I and had a thoroughly good day out - the weather held, good engine display with something to suit all tastes, plenty of tractors, three or four useful bits stalls, great chips with mushy peas, and I'm told the hot fog is pretty good too! So if you are not watching the grand prix tomorrow, cut along to Prestwood and remind yourself what a good little rally it is.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

In message , NHH writes

Geoff and I were there today (just as punters, not with the Minor MM). It was very good and was thankfully blessed with reasonable weather too. The engine line there is usually pretty well populated.

My favourite engine there was the 1925 Wolseley R, throttle-governed, and a very interesting comparison with the much earlier (1910?) hit-and-miss Wolseley which I saw at Thurlow rally a few years ago. The very vocal 5hp Petter petrol/paraffin was also turning heads, but for a different reason. Some folk had at first wondered where the clay pigeon shooting contest was being held... :-)

The curried spud I had wasn't bad, and the real draught Old Peculier (a rarity in this neck of the woods) was in good nick and went down very well. I bought a morse key from the Work Aid sale next to the Petter, and several other electronic odds-and-ends for the radio room.

All in all, a very enjoyable rally.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Not sure it would have been quite as enjoyable today - it's been as showery down here as at Silverstone! My favourite engine has to be the Bremen Caloric - here's a pic taken at another rally:-

's one of the few vintage hot air engines where the designers seem to have appreciated that they were building a fractional horse power device rather than (say) a 5nhp steam engine and the result is this delightfully 'spidery' construction. Whatever your feelings about the late Edd Bolton's international engine trading activities, I'm glad to be able to see things like this in the UK.

NHH

Reply to
NHH