Graphite piston

Hi,

Have any of the members an idea where to find graphite rod, diameter 20 - 25 mm, or more, for turning graphite pistons for use in a stirling engine. Maybe some links to manufactures on the mainland (Europe) or the UK. Any reply would be welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Try these

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Marc Would be interested in how you get on with obtaining graphite. I have nearly completed a stirling engine & have made a nylon piston but I believe graphite would be better. I wonder if a ferrite rod from an old radio would work?

Reply to
john maundrell

Reply to
Wilf Baker

You could ask on rec.models.rockets. They use suitably sized chunks of graphite for turning rocket nozzles, and I have seen some discussions about it there.

Unfortunately rocketeers in the UK don't often use it (the rockets would probably be illegal here).

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Graphite stock is used in mould work for the electrodes on die sinking machines. Try tooling houses. These people stock 20mm x 300 mm for £48.00

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

stirling engines are a long time hobby of mine,if I can help,please let me know.I have some creative ways of making things used for stirling engine construction.I have a small web page with just a very few stirlings I have built.EDM graphite is different than the graphite in pencils,and the type used as a lubricant.They still work well,especially if they are lubed with graphite powder.

Reply to
stirlingnut

I got my graphite from the glassblower at my local university. He uses it for manipulating glass in the semi-molten state.

Regards, Ken Beardsell

Reply to
Ken & Chris Beardsell

As posted earlier, we get ours via CEVP, they will make your part or supply raw stock.

Depends what the propellant is, there are plenty of people building legal motors over here, not as many as in the US granted but the only real restriction over here is on solids.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

That's not true. It's illegal to manufacture solid rocket propellant in the UK but there are no restrictions on building liquid or hybrid motors.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

I used to get big chunks of spectroscopically pure graphite from Johnson Matthey, Hatton Gardens, London.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Happy Christmas everyone!

They use large diameter (ten inch?) electrodes in sections screwed together with nipples in electric arc furnaces for melting steel. The originals are made by Union Carbide. Perhaps someone in the Sheffield area may be able to scrounge you a broken chunk.

Reply to
howkers