Gardner 2LW Pistons and Rods Required

I am looking for a source for two pistons with conrods for a Gardner

2LW. At the moment I don't have any dimensions or numbers for the engine. This is my first port of call looking for the parts. SEM is on my list if nothing materialises. The 2LW is not mine but the parts are a trade (hopefully!) for an incomplete engine. Thanks in advance. Regards, Dave Carter.
Reply to
D.J.Carter

I've got some L2 rods

Actually, I think I have one new piston. I wouldn't have thought there was much problem sourcing pistons (other than paying for them)

Also have a rather rusty 2-cyl LW head looking for a home. I don't think there's much wrong with it that an electrolytic bath wouldn't put right.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Tim, Would I be right in thinking an LW2 is the water cooled version of an L2? { My Gardner ignorance is quite substantial! :)) }

If they are the same, would you temporarily reserve them and I'll get in touch with the owner and ask about bore sizes. The only other problem being is that he is on the west coast ...............of Canada!

Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

No, they're both watercooled. The LW was the 'LightWeight' version of the L2 developed for road vehicles. The L2 is a marine/stationary type engine with separate bedplate, crankcase (with crankcase doors) and cylinder block. The LW has a one-piece crankcase, with separate cylinder block. The L2 has individual cylinder heads, the LW has heads in groups of 2 or 3 cylinders.

They share the same bore and stroke, pistons are more or less interchangeable as are exhaust valves & a few other bits. Sorry, my rods would be of no use to you.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

I can help with LW pistons, but they are +.030 oversize. I can also help with con rods.

Please ring me on 07802572441 or email snark .at. benburb . demon . co . uk

Joe

Reply to
snark

Joe, I've sent an email.

Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

I have received a reply from the owner about the Gardner ID plate info and the actual bore size of the engine.

Dave, Can't find a spec plate but cast on the cylinder is a large L2. The s/ n is; No 42937 with a small 1s below and to the left of the s/n. The bore is 4.25" with a .002 taper and .002 out of round both cylinders suggesting little wear. There is a brass plate that says; MANUFACTURED BY L. GARDNER & SONS LTD. PATRICROFT MANCHESTER INCORPORATING SOME OF OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING PATENTS ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- L2 L3 LW

I don't know what the engine was used for. It does not have a marine transmission so I expect it was a stationary power supply. Can the s/n help out at all?

Having re-checked his original email to me, it definately says 2LW. However, my apologies.

Anyone know of a Gardner register or similar? Nothing in SEM Helpline.

As Tim said :- "They share the same bore and stroke, pistons are more or less interchangeable ...." , may I ask, how much "more or less"? Any idea of the difference?

Just toying with a possible combination, would Joe's o/size pistons (machined down to fit) fit Tim's conrods?

Regards, Dave.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

Some LW pistons were not supposed to be fitted to L2s, I never got to the bottom of why though it may have something to do with offset gudgeon pins.

I've got two pistons here ('new', standard size) marked something like 'LW, HLW, 2-6L2' as they often were. The 1L2 used a different piston as the camshaft was at 90 degrees to the crankshaft. The pistons are not identical, one is an older style than the other, and one is short of a couple of rings. I might be able to find some rings, they ought to be available anyway from the likes of Gardner Spares

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

I should have suggested before - as a certain check whether it's an L2 or LW, the L2 always has individual cylinder heads, one per cylinder. It also has crankcase doors. The LW has one head for two or three cylinders, and no crankcase doors.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Thank you, Tim. I'll email him again to make sure.

Regards, Dave.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

Tim, Separate heads and crankcase doors, so definately 2L. As your posts have expired, could you email me?

Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

At the moment I don't have any dimensions or numbers for the engine. This is my first port of call looking for the parts. SEM is on my list if nothin g materialises. The 2LW is not mine but the parts are a trade (hopefully!) for an incomplete engine.Thanks in advance.Regards,Dave Carter.

Hello-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o. Sorry for the delay. This is what they were exchanged for :-

Apart from some short runs in order to find the positions for starting this was its first longish run. It still needs a few adjustments. No rush!! Regards. Dave carter

Reply to
D.J.Carter