Grizzly tools in UK

Are there any importers of Grizzly tools in the UK?

They will ship to UK but the item I want is only a quarter of their minimum export order value.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Buy a bit more then

Is it not possible to get whatever-it-is through any UK source?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

You could always find someone in the US to send it you......

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Bob

I don't know of any Grizzly importer but Axminster do some Jet and the two seem to stock similar items in the states (quality/price arguments apart). If you let us know what it is you are looking for perhaps someone will know a direct UK importer, I assume much of it comes from the same OEMs these days?

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Grizzly is just an importer of Taiwan, and Chinese tools. Busy Bee, and House of Tools, in Canada carry the same stuff. A few years ago, Warco, in the UK, admitted that they get their lathes from the same source.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

my guess is this tool

it's about the only one that isn't sold here in the uk

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Mark: No cigar mate! I'm after part no H7583

SteveR: Very helpful- Thanks both BB and H-o-T have something similar and I've mailed them for shipping quotes.

Michael: I am following your suggestion up on a woodworking forum.

Do we have any US readers on this NG?

Peter N: The UK equivalent is nearly 4x the US price before shipping.

Best regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob, I seem to remember that there have been quite a few UK people wanting equipment from Grizzly, several of them after the grinder that Mark mentioned.

Maybe if they can can put their hands up on here you could get together and organise a group buy that would meet the minimum order value for Grizzly to ship? I have a feeling that some of them may have been on the HSM forum or Yahoo groups, so perhaps it may be worth sticking a post on those.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I would have thought that as mentioned previously, Grizzly just import from the same Chineses OEM manufacturers as everyone else in the world. Also, you will be getting 110v kit if you import from the US, so thats another consideration. Seems a lot of bother & cost! Perhaps a direct approach to someone like Axminster might be worthwhile, especially if you could 'guarantee' a reasonable number of purchasers?

Mike

Reply to
MikeH_QB

Yeah 110 volt .mmmmmmm :(

love that grinder ....just looking at it ,and it says to you .....I am your ever loyal grinder ...and designed to sharpen your lathe tools both accurately and speedily.

perhaps john can have a word with his pal in arc euro-trade.

all the best...mark

Reply to
mark

Hi, Im new here ,just reading through the threads at the moment. You can get an identical grinder from Harbour Freight.

-- Bob54

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Bob543's Profile:

this thread:

Bob543

**** Just received an email from 'harborfreight' about the grinder.......the online catalogue shows the price as $164.99 but the email they sent me states that shipping to the UK will be $200.......which, if I'm right, would make the grinder approx £ 182.50. It would be great if there was a UK stockist/importer for these grinders. Brad.
Reply to
BRAD

Dunno what the Airline Sales prices are like in your neck of the woods, but you are getting near to a shipping cost that makes "go get it yourself" look like a reasonable option.

I wish I could fly home as cheap as some of the fares I have seen for going halfway round the planet!

For $200 US, they must nearly be buying it it's own seat on a pretty spiff airplane. With actual pretty flight attendants!

Egad...

As a fairly longtime reader of ME, it looks like someone is doing you lot over the barrel, as far as retail prices go.

I often see the same or higher numbers attached to adverts for new import Asian tooling that I expect to see here in Canada, except that I know that a Canuck dollar will buy a little less than half a Pound. Someone's screwing over the customers along the way.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

One problem with Grizzly for UK customers, is distance, not just the Atlantic ocean either! Their main store is in Bellingham Washington, on the west coast. I bought my rotary table there while returning from a motorcycle trip to California. So you can add 3,000 more miles to the distance! They do have an outlet in the eastern US, but, if memory serves me correctly, it too, is well inland.

There is a House of Tools about 15 miles from me, so I could probably inquire about anything of interest for regulars on this NG.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Perhaps not the vendor - I ship a lot of kit to the states, including heavy items and $200 looks pretty cheap compared to uk -> us prices. That grinder weighs 104lbs, well over 40 kilos. If I want to send 40 kgms to the states,

(usually the best prices), gives me a figure of 121.00 uk pounds.

Postal costs have risen considerably in the uk in the past year or so, to the point that it's usually more economic to ship by courier. And forget parcelforce - their prices are usually double or even 3 times courier prices for anything international over 2Kgms small packet rate...

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQuayle

That reminds me of something that happened in the 1960s. I had a management position in a hotel. As chance would have it, a hotel guest worked for one of the UK model engineer suppliers. While in conversation with him, I asked why his firms catalogue did not list overseas shipping rates, or even shipping weights. He became quite upset, and informed me that the UK rates were the same as Canadian rates to the UK. Of course, that was nonsense! It cost way less to send a parcel from Canada to the UK. In those days, the shipping/postal charges were based on weight only in Canada. Now there is a complicated formula based on weight, and dimensions of the parcel. I believe it is still less costly to ship from Canada to the UK.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.