Half inch copper tube?

Where, preferably in the Windsor/SloughUxbridge area, can I buy a couple of feet of this?

Alan

-- Reply to alan(at)windsor-berks(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Alan Holmes

Why would a plumber's merchant not suffice? Are you seeking thick walled tubing, perhaps?

Reply to
Airy R Bean

All the plumbers merchants have been metric for some time.

Reply to
Alan Holmes

Nope, I have a 22mm plastic pipe running down the garden for connection to standpipes for hoses, and I want to fit another standpipe, when this pipe was installed inserts for 22mm black plastic pipe were the morm, but as standards have changed for the worst, the correct fittings are no longer available, I've tried every plumbers merchant for 10 miles around, but they all shake their heads, some have never seen the type of pipe I'm trying to alter as they have only been in the business for a few years.

Quite by accident I discovered that half inch copper pipe will do the job, so that is why I'm looking, I would have thought that model makers, especialy those still making LBSC model locos would have had a supplier.

Alan

-- Reply to alan(at)windsor-berks(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Alan Holmes

If you want 1/2" OD soft copper, Uxbridge Boat Centre

Tel: 01895 252019 email: snipped-for-privacy@uxbridge99.fsnet.co.uk

ought to be able to help.

If you're really stuck I could find you a secondhand piece, but not easy to post!

HTH Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@fish.co.uk and I will stick some in the post.

Dicky Boast.

Dicky Boast

It's a long time ago now, but I'm sure at the time of changeover, on the compression joints there was a problem with the smaller olive not going over the larger pipe? Or the smaller olive not compressing enough for a leakproof joint. Seem to remember that you could get adapters, but I may be wrong. Can't even remember the change over now, mid 1970's??

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

I think maybe 13mm and 1/2" ? or 14mm and 9/16"

B&Q and Gibbs & Dandy had converters in recent years, our old place (home, not factory) had imperial stuff and that was put up in 1974 onto a 1930's building, but was all imperial. I think we may even have a couple of Yorkshire fitting converters in the big box of plumbing stuff we collected over the years.

It's easier to convert at the appliance if possible rather than have a change halfway through the piping.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Peter,

No it's 15mm & 1/2" - don't forget one system measures the bore and the other measures the o/d so 15mm pipe is 15mm o/d and 1/2" pipe is 1/2" bore - so if the wall is about 0.5mm it will be 12.7 + 1mm = 14.7mm

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Is it 1/2" bore (obsolete) or 1/2" OD you are looking for? I've already suggested a supplier for 1/2" OD.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Sorry, Andrew, I was thinking of 1/2" OD not ID :-((

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Get down to your local agricultural supplier, they have couplings for every known type and size of black and blue plastic pipe. These type of suppliers often have all manner of useful bits and pieces.

John Belt Tenterden

Reply to
John Belt

I'll second that -try the local farmers' coop. The black pipe used to be called Alkathene, & the new pipe (blue round these parts) is medium density poly ethylene or MDPE so they told me. I had to connect some new blue pipes to old Alkathene pipes from our spring a couple of years back & the compression connectors ( hand tightened -no need for spanners!) were supplied with one Alkathene size & one MDPE size instead of the susual 2 MDPE for no extra charge

John.LloydUNSPAM

.

John Belt

Reply to