Is this a forum for civilised technical discussion?

Is this a forum for civilised technical discussion?

Is it possible that technical points in disagreement can be discussed without each point being turned into a playground-pissing contest as Mr.Reay seems to want?

Is it possible that technical points can be offered without a response of foul-mouthed and infantile tirades such as Mr.Stephenson seems to use habitually?

Is it possible to reply in disagreement without every other line being a rather silly and childish sneer along the lines of the postings from EEng?

How will discussion upon matters of engineering progress if those who have a differing viewpoint, (a viewpoint that might well change the opinions of their fellow debaters), present their viewpoint in a childish and silly outburst?

Why do appeals for civilised behaviour invoke the very worst in co-respondents, especially from the three guilty parties referenced above?

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Why don't YOU go and play on the motorway. ...(_!_)...

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

Newsgroup......1 Bean.......0

Reply to
RVMJ 99g

I have been under the impression that this is a newsgroup!

Alan

-- Reply to alan(at)windsor-berks(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Alan Holmes

This can be such a forum. You just need to learn to ignore the rantings and personal attacks and focus on the issues.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

Perhaps so.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Sounds like a childish and silly outburst to me.....

Reply to
F1LBY

Surely not...we all know just how adult & serious he is ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Snip

For some reason, not when you are involved...

Reply to
Hairy Has Been

Don Phillips wrote in a posting to Bean:

But Bean meantiond in a posting earlier this year that it is his practice to ignore the content of a 'tantrum' or 'outburst' and focus on the 'childishness' of the posting.

i pointed out at the time that I thought this was the wrong tactic, and that it would be better to ignore the 'slurs' - whether real or imagined - and deal with the issue at stake. Clearly Bean does not want to do this, and I believe he will be stuck in an unproductive loop of dealing with 'attacks' and 'criticism' rather than moving on and tackling the issues.

Reply to
RVMJ 99g

I believe hypocrite is the phrase you were looking for.......

Clearly Bean does not

Reply to
F1LBY

No, it's becoming a forum akin to alt.flame. I respectfully suggest that those who wish it to be so remove their discussions to the same post haste.

Reply to
MattD..

I wish I could say I pay that close of attention to Bean. Once a thread goes to name calling, I tend to mark it all as read.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

Nope...

Reply to
indago

Correct, and as such what happens here is is no better or worse than what is typically encountered during a classical street corner discussion or disagreement. Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

Its just a shame that the children that use what was a good NG cant take thier disagreements out of the classroom and into the playground so that the rest of us can learn something usefull.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

You've not missed anything.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

AAAAHAHAHAHA man I must have REALLY hit a nerve when I pointed out the fallacy of your comments about negatives. You just can't stand to be shown as wrong can you? Amazingly enough, it was my ONLY post regarding you and yet, its really struck home eh? I guess the truth hurt more than was intended. I intended only to show where you had erred, but if you want to consider that a sneer at you, then I suggest you seek professional help because you're obviousley paranoid. Nobody else took it as a rant, only you. You must have "seen the light" in my explanations and just couldn't bear it....my God, to be shown up in a public forum for being wrong. Truth hurts I guess. By the way, all REAL engineers know that in this industry, there is NO ROOM FOR EGO. When I've been corrected in the past, my replies were generally along the lines of THANK YOU for clearing things up. For you to have chosen my very first post to you as an attack that places me in your hall of shame, shows you for incompetent, unprofessional wannabee engineer you are.

In response to your query about technical discussions, generally this is a great place to exchange info, talk to pro's in particular disciplines of electronics, learn, etc........but in your case, we'll all make an exception.

Sorry, Ohms Law, Fourier Transforms, and any other mathematics, electronics, etc....are irrefutable. You're either right or wrong, there's no middle ground and personal opinions, viewpoints, etc have no bearing. 2+2 will always equal 4 no matter how you look at it. Although, if you'd really like to burst a vein, I can prove mathematically 3 different ways that 7 x 13 = 28, but that doesn't make it true.

Reply to
EEng

Do you mind? I sat there and stared at that for the longest time until I realised what you were talking about. You are a very nasty man! ;o)

It could also be 21, BTW.

Reply to
MattD..

Perhaps he ought to be on alt.engineering.mechanical !! ;-)

Reply to
Hairy Has Been