Have I got a 3 Phase Supply?

Daft sounding question I know, but the guy we bought the house from said the workshop had a 3 phase supply, however on inspection I couldn't find any 3 phase plugs in the workshop, so I put it down to him telling another porky pie to help sell the place. However after doing a bit of reading through the archives I'm now beginning to wonder. I've got 4 lines coming to the house, but the top two are cut and don't connect in:

does this mean I actually have the potential for a proper 3 phase circuit to be added to my workshop?

If these are the lines I need who do I contact to connect up the 2 cut lines? N-Power, local electricity board (no idea who they are, I'm half way between Peterborough and Huntingdon if that helps), or just a local electrician? Any idea on costs here if these two lines are suitable?

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

Hi Rob, it certainly looks like a potential 3 phase supply to me - I had something very similar many years ago in a previous home / workshop setup. Back then I think there was only one possible supplier per area (EMEB in my case). With the present choice maybe your best bet would be to request a 3 phase supply from N Power as they're your existing supplier? I immagine they'll get Central Networks involved (or another equivalent firm if you're outside their region) to do the hook up as supply lines are outside the workzone for 16th edition electricians, let alone diy! Anybody else any thoughts?? Rgds Clive

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.3 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Tiggurr

Hi Clive, Thanks for the reply, I've sent N-Power an email rather than wait four hours on the phone ;) It'll be interesting to hear what they come back with!

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
Robbus

Assuming all 4 wires are connected at the pole end, I can't see from the pic, then you have the potential. Even if not they could re-connect at the pole. You can't go directly to those responsible for connecting your supply any longer, you have to go via your retailer. If it's not changed again then you're going to have to get an electrician to install a 3 phase distribution panel and certify it's to 16th edition BEFORE they will connect you, the last time I did it I had to fax off one of their declaration forms to the right man at the right office. They won't connect without such a declaration in order to cover their arses. Then they'll come and install a three phase meter and fuses and connect your tails to it.

Note that they do not provide an earth with this type of overhead supply so you should have an earth rod and an RCD for the whole of the existing installation.

Greg

Reply to
Greg