Help Please

Hi, I'm retired because of a disability and new to Model Engineering and need help. I always wanted to buy a Myford lathe which I have now managed to get, but I need drawings for a simple model stationary engine to get me started, Does anybody know (I'm also new to this area) of a Model Engineering Shop where I can get drawings, tools, material etc, in the Huddersfield Wakefield Area. I would perfer a shop that deals over the phone or internet as I don't get out a lot. If anybody out there has any drawings/ plans that they would sell me please leave post or email me.

Regards to you all

Reply to
tony aldridge

For tools RDG at Hebden Bridge is a good, They advertise a lot on Ebay and will post. Can't help with plans or materials.

I realise you have a disability but there is a Model Engineering show 7th,

8th and 9th of May at Harrogate, not too far from you. If you can get it's well worth going, plenty of plans, castings, materials and tools all under one roof.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Think the shop in Hebden Bridge has closed down, windows are whitewashed, still gear inside, but no message on window. If anybody out there knows what happened to them let us know. Good on-line supplier is Chronos, who have a good online catalogue to;

I am in Halifax, drop me a email if you get stuck for any local suppliers etc. cheers, Mark

Reply to
Markgengine

They seem to do most of their selling via ebay. The shop was in a similar state some weeks ago, they must still need some storage area!

-- Cheers Adrian.

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

In message , tony aldridge writes

Blackgates Engineering

209-211, Wakefield Rd Drighlington Bradford West Yorkshire BD11 1EB

Tel: 0113 285 3652

Literally two minutes off the M62 J27 - they also do mail order.

Reply to
Pat Martindale

If you're a beginner, then I recommend that you avoid Blackguards like the plague. Since the business was sold recently, it has gone to pot, and the new crew are passing off foundry rejects as valid castings.

Caveat Emptor, as always.

The standard starter kit is the Stuart (Formerly Stuart-Turner) V10. It produces a vertical single-cylinder stationary engine about 6 inches tall and takes you through almost all lathe operations.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Going to Harrogate Gareth ??

Perhaps I could buy you lunch?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

He is correct about the Stuart range, perhaps Tony would like to look at

a bit pricey, but unless you have vast stocks of materials, trying to build from scratch costs about 4 times what you originally thought.

I hope he is wrong about Blackgates though, I have a Sweet Pea boiler on order.....

Reply to
Martin L

blackgates at drighlington have all the model engineering supplies yo

need, try a google search on the internet. what type of simple plan are you looking for? i may be able to help you out as i have severa plans for simple oscillating steam engines.there are 2 books tha blackgates stock called simple model steam engines by tubal cain, vol & 2. these simple engines can be built mostly from stock material o cheap castings

-- bolma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bolmas's Profile:

this thread:

bolmas

In article , Martin L writes

(Of the monomaniac "Bean")

He is. Totally.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

No, I am not. I purchased a hacksaw kit from them, and the main casting was so misaligned as to be useless. Needless to say, it was well wrapped up in newspaper in a box that was well-sealed with plastic tape!

I have had reports (from a prominent SMEE member) that others have suffered in the same way.

The groups.google.com record shows my discussion of the fraud at the time.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Ah yes - it shows the following.

1; You made a 7 hour round trip to purchase said item from a show. You later complained that it was too much effort to nip down to the local post office to return said item.

2; You made no attempt whatsoever to contact Blackgates - choosing instead to vent your spleen here, despite Blackgates having a clearly defined returns policy published on their website.

3; You threatened to take the matter up with your local trading standards office - but this too was apparently too much of an effort.

4; In a fit of pique you tossed said item into the dustbin, thus conveniently disposing of the evidence.

5; You're an unmitigated fool, with less consumer nous than the average 9 year old. The Bertie Wooster of engineering.

And as I'm sure you're just itching to bash out your tired and feeble 'childish' riposte, I shall make it worth your while. You're also a complete k*****ad.

Knock yerself out ( please, oh please ).

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Stupid Boy.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

You forgot the stupid boy, although I thought that was reserved for cynical traders

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Ah yes - one forgets one's titled status when one only uses it for formal occasions, dontcha know.

Although, from examining the criteria for this prestigious gong it appears that there are but two criteria: you must have a job of some description, and you must have upset the gongmeister in some unspecified and obscure fashion.

It's a curious anomaly that the former precludes the gongmeister from this prestigious association, though I suspect he's well up on the self-abuse....

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Stupid Boy.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

When I started a relative gave me three years of Model Engineer from the

1960's. They were invaluable for ideas and howto's and I bought four more years later. Now everyone is obsessed with 'puter files they seem to be losing value. I suggest you get some, but go for the older period, nothing since the 1980's. The later articles seem to depend much more on milling machines and fancy tooling to my mind, and models seem to have got bigger and more expensive as a result.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Agreed - The ME from the early 60's cover everything, since it was before the days that £ signs pre-occupied the publishers. ME from those years covers everything - model boats - rigging of real ships - making equipment - elementary how-to's. I've got, amongst other years,

58 to 64 and they are the most read years.

If you can get a run of 20 years of any of the magazines, then you won't really need to buy anything else - you can have too many! I was lucky in being able to pick up the first 20 years of EIM for £30.

As to books - Adam Harris down at Camden Miniature Steam Services does an excellent range.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean