Hook up

Hi All

I am trying desperately to help my son who is just starting a new business manufacturing retractable grill's in the UK. He is unable to "hook up" his Bridgeport CNC series 1, boss 5 via PC...Rs232. He is a highly trained industrial electrical/mechanical engineer (not me tho'). We are unable to send or receive using RS232. My son has checked out the cable from CNC to PC & appear ok, working to a manual of this machine.He did change the original round sockets to 25 pin on the machine. I am many miles away from his factory so some of the questions asked may have to be emailed/telephoned to my son (Steve from now on), unless you may wish to have my son's Steves email? The machine works fine otherwise, but steve wishes to save TIME and LABOUR by some automation. Money is tight at present so major upgrade is not an option unfortunately. We also wish to know how to create a very small programme to enable transfer to PC initially. So far the PC software states "unable to make link". Would gratefully appreciate any assistance. Regards Terry

Reply to
tel

Terry,

Have a look at a free program called NCnet Lite from

This gives all the cable connections and links to many machines. the Boss5 is amongst these.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John Thank you kindly....will pass all, on to my son.

unfortunately.

Reply to
tel

Is it the original cable as supplied for the purpose? RS232 can be a nightmare to get sorted.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks Steve...I have passed the post on to him, which he will reply A.S.A.P. All I know is that he has "ringed out" the cable OK.

Where can he obtain this RS232 cable from to hook up.?

Here is my son's email address if convenient: snipped-for-privacy@dsgl.co.uk

Terry

unfortunately.

Reply to
tel

I find a protocol analyser incredibly useful for this sort of debug. It sits on the RS232 wiring and you can watch what's being sent, what the control ilnes are doing and patch things up if necessary.

It's possible to do this with a PC having two serial ports and some suitable software, but a dedicated instrument is far easier. Assuming he's where his email address implies (Stewartby), that would be very easy as I'm only a few miles east. Unfortunately I'm too busy to show him how to use it until next week, but if he's already familiar with them (it's an HP4951C) we could arrange a loan earlier.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Reply to