Hot double sided tape

I vaguely remember a reference (possibly in Model Eningeer) to a replacement for double sided tape that was applied by warming the item to be bonded, and removed the same way. I >>think

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Without being facetious, surely that stuff is called 'glue', maybe veneer glue. I'm thinking of the stuff you put in the old-fasioned glue pot on the stove, with an outer container for the boiling water and an inner one for the glue. There may be a more modern alternative.

I've had success using PVA, leaving the items (cork gasket on plastic backing) in a bucket of water for 24 hours to unstick them.

Reply to
John Montrose

alternative.

plastic

John,

The stuff I remember was very accurately made to a uniform thickness. If you are cnc engraving panels a few thou height variation looks awful

In effect I suppose it was a thin sheet of hot melt glue.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

J & L sell something like that for holding metal.

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile:

this thread:

Allan Waterfall

Andrew

I use the sheet material for veneering, you just lay it between th wood and the veneer and go over it with a hot domestic iron. Th process is reversible as well, just heat it up again and you can remov the veneer if required. Just dont let the wife catch you using her iron, you have been warne !!

If you want a sample to try, let me have your address again, and I wil pop some in the post for you.

Regards Phi

-- pgp00

----------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp001's Profile:

this thread:

pgp001

The message from "Andrew Mawson" contains these words:

The Art Veneers Co. sell a glue film, from their web site

it is a :-- " Modern thermoplastic glues, available as a thin film on a release paper"

Reply to
William J Lamond

My recollection is that the article was in MEW and referred to veneer glue. It so happened that a week or so later I was going to the February Woodworker show at Alexandra Palace so made a mental note to buy some from the Art Veneers stand - Art Veneers are the people at Mildenhall. Minimum quantity seemed like several acres so if you would like to try some let me have your address and I'll cut a piece off and post it.

Reply to
Doug Ball

sheets

Bill,

Many thanks that's the stuff and those are the people !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

photgraphic hot mounting tissue may meet your requirements

Reply to
Chris R

J & L sell a product called Mitee Grip

Part Number MTB 10240

Was looking for something else yesterday and the catalogue happened to open on that page, as I flicked through. Just checked again it's on the vices page.

tinman