How big is a bridgeport?

Dave If you put the ram midway so that its in the middle of the bed you will probably find this is satifactory for 90% of the work done if it does need more depth keep a pair of 1/2" dia rollers handy slip these under the base and you will find it's quite easy to pull it forward or back with ease I do it on mine with no problems as long as you keep the floor tidy around the base. Colin

Reply to
Colin Wildgust

Hi all, Ive seen a few Bridgeports, and I know they have 42 odd inch tables, but how much space do you need to have around them to be able to use them? Ive only seen them in big workshops, and since I accidentally bought a ladder that was *much* bigger than I needed when it looked quite short in the warehouse Id like some idea of whether I can reasonably fit one into my rather full garage/workshop, before I go looking for a good one, or if I should consider something else (probably smaller - open to recommendations?).

thanks

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

I would guess mine is in an area of about 9 foot by 8 foot. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Dave have a look here:

is my Bridgy being delivered and installed in a single garage. It lives with an ML7, an Eagle Grinder, bandsaw, drill, bench, and the wifes washing machine.

Gets a bit tight in there sometimes depending on how well I've tidied up (or not).

Peer

Reply to
Peter Neill

tables,

accidentally

looked

It

tidied

Well chuck the washing machine out - obvious really !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Peter, Didn't look that bad to me, made my garage look jam packed :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

So's taking the buggers to bits, fits in a standard transit then, ask Keith

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John, never doubted for a second! The trick is to watch carefully with eyes closed as a "professional" takes it apart and loads it; best done with the hire companies words ringing in your ears - this is a brand new van so take care of it. Particularly effective as you are asked to get the forklift brakes from where they are leaning against the wall and apply them (throw them in front of the wheels!) when the base is far enough in?? No problem fits like a glove and still room for a few accessories (thank you John) and the sandwiches. Drive 150miles arriving at 11.30pm with this brand new Transit that has to be back at the hire company at 7am the next morning. Armed with a cheap engine crane, wife and 19 year old son, out it all pops safe as houses, well it looked like it in the dark anyway. [VBG]

They are large for the average workshop but not unmanageable unless you want to dance round it like a maypole. Mine has the ram positioned in a window recess and with the table fully back against the base I still have room for a 2' bench behind it and up to the base on one side. The table extends in front of the bench when the mill is in use. The other side I have a storage rack. So if you are prepared to fit things round it you will be surprised how quickly it merges into the background. Obviously a bit limiting in the work envelope but I bet I can use 80% of the capacity without moving anything. I don't have the actual measurements from wall, etc but if you need them I will get them for you tomorrow.

As Peter's picture shows they do stick out a fair way from the wall so if you have a single garage they don't leave much room to put things opposite them. If you could get it on the end wall might have a little less impact. I'm lucky that I have a double garage but the Bridgy still looks big and a bit "overpowering" in that, at least that was something like the wife said, funny she doesn't swear too often.

To be honest, boring common sense might have had me getting a VMC/Marlow or something a bit smaller, but hell you only live once and I really wanted a Bridgeport. Don't regret it at all.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Along with the other suggestions posted, I have seen recommendations that the mill be set at 45 degrees into a corner to minimize the waste space.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Yes, it does, pictures of the Beaver when we collected it a year or so back at:

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Seems like a good idea, but I dont have any spare corners...

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Moving one doesnt hold fear, but getting home and it not fitting would be a problem. I was thinking of putting it accross the short axis of the garage, which is about 8 feet wide iirc, but I do have little pieces of cardboard which a scale sized for my current occupants, and a scale floor plan, so I can shift things around to see where they fit easily.(I also have to get an L5, a 4'x2'6 surface table, a 4'x3' server safe, an alba shaper, a Mini, assorted tooling and compressor/welder etc in...I think I need a bigger garage...) Judging from Peters photo if I allow about 4 1/2 feet from a wall and about 6 feet wide would that be reasonable?

thanks

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Dave, no problems with the width, but the depth is a little bit tight if the ram is to go back far enough to get the spindle over the edge of the table when it is as far forward on the knee as it will go. Mine is

57" from the wall to the front most tip of the operating handle and I have the advantage of allowing the ram to go 5" into a window recess if necessary. Obviously you still need room to stand in front to operate it but I'm sure (unlike me) you wouldn't forget that. At 57" the ram is back far enough to position the spindle approximately over the centre of the knee.

Best of luck

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Will this help ?

Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Thats exactly the kind of thing I need. :) Thanks. One thing I had forgotten was the third dimension, height. The roof is about 7 foot or so (possibly a bit more) so i dont think that will cause a problem?

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Dave

I think they vary a bit in height and mine is the step pully version with the 9 wire american motor so one of the shortest you can get. It stands 6' 8" from floor to top of motor with the head vertical. If you wanted to fully remove a drawer bar without tilting the head you would need another 16" or so above that. Obviously you can tilt the head to remove the bar if necessary.

The later vari speed head is taller and typically stands at 7' 5" tall so could cause a problem for you.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Sorry, a "drawer bar ", just what was I thinking about, certainly not the spelling!!

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Guess I need to actually measure the ceiling height tonight then.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

I acknowledge that whilst you may need to loosen & retighten the draw bar frequently to change collets/chucks/cutters actually removing it is a different issue.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Agreed Charles but only if your tooling has the same drawbar thread. While I uderstand that is more likely with the R8 tooling if you try to make use of R8/MT adaptors etc that is not a given. Another good reason for going the ER route. Tilting the head is not a problem though.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk