How do electronic calipers work

I can get my head round optical encoders but how do the cheep Chinese callipers work having taken a few apart to clean it seems to be a line of dots/holes? running at about 45 deg and the markings on the calliper have no affect because on one set I have there aren't any is there something hidden in the strip The reason for asking is that i've ordered a 3 way DRO from Lester Caine and as always want to save money (cheep skate) and does any one know if a rotary optical encoder can be used with this

Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

Yes but you need to order the QCC 100 board to be fitted. You need one QCC100 per rotary encoder / axis

Have a read here.

Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

This is Mitutoyo's patent for their Absolute range of calipers

Basically most cheap callipers usually include two support members or scales, on which are mounted arrays of discrete, capacitively coupled electrodes, that are displaced relative to one another when the tool is opened (or closed) to measure a part. The change in the position of one scale relative to the other is determined by sensing the resulting change in the capacitance pattern created by the arrays of electrodes. Typically, the capacitance pattern is sensed by applying periodic signals to one of the electrode arrays and measuring the shift in signal resulting from the transfer from one array of electrodes to another.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead