How hard is "Hardened"

I recently bought a Quick Change Toolpost with 4 holders. Advertised as "Hardened and Ground". Within days there were dings all over the
toolholder. I find that I can relatively easily file chamfers on the block or the toolholders. Also when you analyse the manufacture it is not ground in the places where I feel it should be ground. Typically the location faces of the height adjuster and the inside of the groove of the clamp. As one clamps up the rough surfaces cause the adjuster "nut" to rotate. All that together with the fact that when clamped upon on one toolholder I can slide a .05mm feeler down one of the clamping faces. I am not a happy bunny! When I get the Parting toolholder back, returned as adjusting screw was not square with the block, I think that the whole lot will go back!
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
On 30 Jan, 19:25, Richard Edwards <richard-

Are you going to name names?
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:36:41 -0800 (PST), 1501

Not at the moment If I do its unfair to the supplier without being given a chance to respond If I dont its maybe unfair to people on this NG
Rock and Hard spot!
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
message

The name "Rockwell" springs to mind when discussing the degree of hardness. Look at: http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/hardness/rockwell.htm
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:44:56 -0000, "Emimec"

Thanks but no help at all! I have a J&S Knurling tool, the shank of which I cannot touch with a file. I would expect a QC toolholder to be of similar hardness, not in this case!
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
Richard, I have one with a wiggly screw thing but I reached the stage where I have ceased to patronise the cheap jacks. My four way tool holder( non Myford) is destined for a 'the Museum for White Elephants. Somebody else commented about his Myford( type) fixed steady- from---- Oh, dear, a Bridge over Troubled Waters?
Wasn't it Ruskin who commented long before us?
Norman

As the US Federal Bank cuts the bank rate by a further half of one percent and the Stock Exchange is still showing losses- apart from food supermarkets, John Ruskin's words are :- There is hardly anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and those who buy by price alone are this man's lawful prey.
Cheers
Norm
Norm
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 01:43:48 -0800 (PST), ravensworth2674

Ay up Norm you are turning this thread into financial politics mixed with literary greats ;-) None of which is telling me how hard my toolholders should be ;-)
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
Richard, you have two choices. The first is to case harden and grind the end result. The second is to grind your teeth and live with them!
I mean , I could go into the Sale of Goods Act 1893 but there are bigger problems to tackle.
I suffer from Bruxism almost silently.
Norm

Quite.
If they are claimed to be hardened and ground then should be file hard or at least very hard to touch with a file. Send them back PDQ with a snotty letter and tell us where you got them.
--
Charles Lamont

Richard, John Ruskin was one of the Lakeland poets but even if you are not into them, read
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell at little cheaper, and those who buy by price alone are this man's lawful prey
Today, I was following the drop of 1/2% by the US Fed Bank and the continued fall of the Stock Exchange here. It was called Political Economy when - was it that long ago?
Now it is time to read Stubbs Gazette rather than think about Stubs silver steels.
Norman