I feel really priveledged

There was I minding my own business when I was buzzed by a Spitfire !!! Knocking down the shuttering for a concrete slab outside my 'to
be' workshop (sorry barn), and there was this Spitfire, having taken off from a grass strip just up the road (Spillstead farm) and I was entertained by a few circuits and fly pasts. Call me soft, but it brought a lump to my throat. Wife chastised me saying I wasn't even born by the end of the war, but there you are I had the lump !!! Can't be that many flying now.
AWSEM

I know what you mean, I used to live up near Scampton, where the RAF Memeorial flight is based. Nothing quite like hearing them coming and seeing them go past is there. War, I wasnt born til after the oil crisis (not the current one!)
Dave
dave sanderson wrote:

Dave, they've been based at Coningsby since 1976 and were based at Biggin Hill, North Weald, Martlesham Heath Horsham St Faith & Coltishall before then.
http://www.bbmf.co.uk/history.html
HTH
G.
--
Graham J. Platt
graham (a) bowhunter (d) demon (d) co (d) uk

Oops close tho, I used to live in Navenby (between the 2). Red Arrows at Scampton... Ive been to both, got to sit in a Red Arrow (I was about 8 at the time, imagine the grin :) :) :) ) I also remember the Vulcans, the landing flight path to Waddington was over the house... Planes round here (EMA) dont go fast enough, they look like they should fall out of the sky.
Dave

Theres an Arrow parked up here: http://tinyurl.com/4nzeub Couldnt see any othe BBMF out... Dave

Some interesting aircraft pictured here at Bruntingthorpe, alas no Vulcan at the time, probably on test. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bruntingthorpe,+United+Kingdom&ie=UTF8&llR.49616,-1.11316&spn=0.001323,0.003256&t=h&z  Can you name any of these aircraft? Brad.

I'll have a shot at most of them. Victor Comet 2 Hunters 3 Buccaneers Canberra Sea Vixen 2 Jet Provosts Guppy French registered so probably the one used for carry early Airbus bits.
Mystere next to the Sea Vixen? Pink DC3 in the 'greenhouse' Nearly missed that one
Stumped by:- The little helicopter The a/c in front of the Buccaneer with wings folded The white one north east of the Sea Vixen. Any that I haven't spotted Marks out of 17?
Henry

Another D-Day over and Forgotten?

Hm, a challenge. Let's see...
Comet, Victor, Gnat, Jaguar, Canberra, Lightning, Jet Provost, Sea Vixen, Sabre??, Hunter, Buccaneer, Super Guppy?
Couple of small ones I couldn't make out, including the helicopter, and the "thing with no wings" next to the Buccaneer is puzzling.
David
--
David Littlewood

writes

Would the "thing with no wings" actually have it's wings folded upwards? But well done anyway. Brad.

Stupidly forgot to write down the 2 Lightnings! Spotted the folded wings on the Buccaneer though. Missed the one north of the Canberra whatever it is.
So now we need a correct list to satisfy our curiosity!
Not sure what Norm's reference to D day was all about. Not old enough to have been there but was around at the time, aged 11. So long enough in the tooth to have seen flying all the aircraft shown.
Henry
David Littlewood wrote:

The thing with the folded wings, you mean?
:-)
Cheers Trevor Jones
Trevor Jones wrote:

What is the huge torpedo-shaped plane?
Best wishes,
Chris

Theres a vulcan parked up at waddington. you can also see the 'fast dispersal' points for them on the end of the runway...
http://tinyurl.com/4oa9yk
Dave

Why do they camouflage them and then put them on a background where they stand out like a buck-naked girl at a stag night ?
--
Boo

GJP-NG wrote:

I'm pretty sure they were at Scampton at least temporarily at one point. Peter

Shame it wasn't a Mossie :(

Andrew, and I thought it was just me! I too was born after the war ended but was lucky to work with these aircraft during my early career. The most vivid memory I have of a long working life was winning a "prize" as a fourth year apprentice, expecting the usual book token or something I was astounded to be told my prize was to be allowed to ground run a Griffon engined Spitfire. What an adrenalin rush for a 20 year old - never ever forgot it. No I didn't damage it but did miss the dire warning "peacetime limit of 2lbs boost" and took it to "combat boost" of 28lbs. I subsequently ran the real thing (Merlin) and some very powerful engines but nothing compared to that first Spit ground run. I suspect that the modern H&S "wardens" would put a stop to such exciting prizes these days - what a pity.
I was privileged to see quite a few practice displays but the one pilot that stands out in my mind was Ray Hannah (ex Red Arrow leader and noted for flying under the Winston bridge on the River Tees Co Durham /Yorkshire), my jaw dropped open as I watched him bring a Spit round the airfield perry track on its' wing tip which never looked to be more than a couple of feet above the tarmac. I laughed when my then boss dropped to his knees as the aircraft leveled out and came towards us low across the grass but I soon stopped as I joined him a split second later. Now he could fly and it made me think of all those young men who could also fly even when being shot at. The bridge clip is here but turn the sound up really high to watch it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf3UtmHLKUU&feature=related

There are in fact a fair number of Spits flying at the moment and you can even have a "new one" built if you can afford the time and money it takes. It seems that getting a good Merlin is the most difficult part of the process particularly as our American friends like to "tune them up" and race about with their Mustangs.
Thanks Andrew for inspiring the memory, it made a bad day a lot better.
Keith
jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the link ,still the most awesome sound around,and a beautiful aircraft to boot.
--
Kevin (Bluey)
I still love to see the Spitfires & Hurricanes flying, I see quite a lot of them when it's airshow time - Basildon must be on some sort of aerial 'motorway' for classic aircraft.