I feel really priveledged

...and a footnote to my own post...there is no mention of the 5b anywhere on the Malta Aviation Museum website....interesting!

Reply to
Chris Edwards

Some interesting aircraft pictured here at Bruntingthorpe, alas no Vulcan at the time, probably on test.

you name any of these aircraft? Brad.

Reply to
Brad.

I'll have a shot at most of them. Victor Comet

2 Hunters 3 Buccaneers Canberra Sea Vixen 2 Jet Provosts Guppy French registered so probably the one used for carry early Airbus bits.

Mystere next to the Sea Vixen? Pink DC3 in the 'greenhouse' Nearly missed that one

Stumped by:- The little helicopter The a/c in front of the Buccaneer with wings folded The white one north east of the Sea Vixen. Any that I haven't spotted Marks out of 17?

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

In article , Brad. writes

Hm, a challenge. Let's see...

Comet, Victor, Gnat, Jaguar, Canberra, Lightning, Jet Provost, Sea Vixen, Sabre??, Hunter, Buccaneer, Super Guppy?

Couple of small ones I couldn't make out, including the helicopter, and the "thing with no wings" next to the Buccaneer is puzzling.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Would the "thing with no wings" actually have it's wings folded upwards? But well done anyway. Brad.

Reply to
Brad.

Another D-Day over and Forgotten?

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Not quite in the same league, I know - but recently I'm seeing quite a few Apache, or similar attack helicopters.

They are just a little too high to make if they are fully armed or not........

I often wonder I they have me on the cross hairs of that damned accurate & effective FLIR targeting system....

One thing is for sure, miltary aircraft - jet or prop have a sound that's totally different to the average private & commercial stuff...

Cheers Barry

jackary Wrote:

Reply to
BarryK

Stupidly forgot to write down the 2 Lightnings! Spotted the folded wings on the Buccaneer though. Missed the one north of the Canberra whatever it is.

So now we need a correct list to satisfy our curiosity!

Not sure what Norm's reference to D day was all about. Not old enough to have been there but was around at the time, aged 11. So long enough in the tooth to have seen flying all the aircraft shown.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

I'm pretty sure they were at Scampton at least temporarily at one point. Peter

Reply to
Peter J Seymour

test.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bruntingthorpe,+Un...> Can you name any of these aircraft?

Theres a vulcan parked up at waddington. you can also see the 'fast dispersal' points for them on the end of the runway...

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Why do they camouflage them and then put them on a background where they stand out like a buck-naked girl at a stag night ?

Reply to
Boo

That's partly because they don't waste weight or energy by worrying about noisse suppression systems...

Reply to
Steve

Does anyone know how many Spitfires are still flying?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

That's difficult to answer as a Spit needs a lot of maintenance. The annual service can take a couple of months apparently so do you include those or not?

For anyone who wants a really good read about the Spitfire, try the Haynes Manual. No I'm not joking, look here:

've just finished reading my copy and can thoroughly recommend it.

For those who like a Spitfire low pass, have a look at this

John

Reply to
John

I don't know what they are, but somewhere nearby they fly (or flew - I haven't seen any for a while) large dark grey four-engined military transport aircraft. A few of them had a noise-suppression system such that if they are coming towards you you can't hear them _at all_, if the wind is in the right direction.

They also fly/flew very low, which could lead to unusual situations - on a couple of occasions I have cycled over the top of a hill and seen a huge grey totally silent aircraft flying (they half fill the valley) below me!

Most weird to experience, more like a dream than reality.

[about twelve and ten years ago, near Limpley Stoke, Wilts, if any air-bods could identify them for me]

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Would it be one of these?

C130 hercules.... based at Lynham.

Reply to
David

> I've just finished reading my copy and can thoroughly recommend it.

How much is the road tax?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

The thing with the folded wings, you mean?

:-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Free as it's pre 1973.

The MOT costs about =A325,000 though!

Reply to
John

I wouldn't worry about that, it's the fuel, service and insurance bills that really matter I'll bet!

Henry

Reply to
Dragon