Help................

....... Or a miracle needed.
Just purchased a small milling machine on Ebay - and I need to shift it from Croydon (Surrey) to Basildon.
The machine is physically quite small, about 67" tall, 30" or so wide and 30" or so deep. But quite heavy at around 400 kilo's.
The machine is an older Warco VMC with cast iron stand. Warco model number is KF-VO-AIS - I am not familiar with this model, however,it looks very like the current Warco VMC. (If any one is familiar with this model I'd be interested to hear all about it.)
Access at Croydon is difficult, the machine being located in a workshop at the end of a 100 foot garden, up 2 steps & out to the drive via a standard side gate (about 36" wide, I'd guess)
I think it's gonna need manhandling from the workshop to the drive, so I'd guess it'll need about 4 big blokes....or 2 very large, very strong, very competent ones. ( and a big barrow.......)
Drop off at this end is easy, back up to my Workshop/garage & straight through the up'n'over door.
If anyone can put me in touch with someone professional and competent, who is able to shift this for me I'd be very grateful.
I'm prepared to pay a sensible price, of course
Cheers
Barry Basildon
PS - to further complicate matters I've just learned that there is no pathway from the workshop to the house, just lawn........
--
BarryK
You should be able to dismantle this into more managable lumps; am I right in thinking this is one of those mill/drill things with a round column? The first split would be to remove the head perhaps.
penfold wrote:

No s VMC is chunkier than that however if it anything like my myford VMC then the head comes off with a couple of bolts and the column/knee/table comes off the stand. So that is 3 smaller lumps to manage.
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

I haven't done much machinery moving, but I used to sometimes help my ex-landlord move pianos.
There are two types of piano movers - those who think that occasionally you have to go heavy (ie use a lot of strength, or even carry the piano) eg when there are lots of steps, and those who think you never have to. My ex-landlord is the second type - he's a wimpy guy, and so am I, but just the two of us have moved full size grand pianos up and down flights of stairs.
Can't give any direct advice, but it's amazing what you can do with a wheeled dolly, straps (locking and plain) and strap winches without having to be at all strong. It's all about balance, and moving by tilting rather than lifting. The most important thing however is to take your time and know exactly what everyone is going to do before you do it - which is mostly balancing the piano, it's a bit like a motorcycle that's too heavy to lift upright if it ever falls over, so you make sure it never falls over.
It's also about not having to use strength - if it's too heavy to lift, it's too heavy to lift - so don't try and lift it, do something else instead to get it where you want it.
Two steps are not likely to be much of a problem, google piano moving and "cheating" for the technique.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Packing_&_Moving_Household_Goods/Procedures
But be warned, moving pianos (and mills) can be extremely dangerous!
If you can split the mill, a good sack truck may be all you need (but take some good strong straps along, and strap the bits to the sack truck when moving them). You may also need some planks eg to get it into the van.
If you do have to go heavy, usually at least three people are needed for a piano - two take the heavy end and one the light end (usually the heavy end is at the bottom when going up or down stairs, or pushing it up or down a ramp). The chap on the light end is in charge.
-- Peter Fairbrother
Hi Penfold
Nope - it's a knee mill - also, one of the reasons I'd rather hire someone cabable is that my health is not too good and they should have some suitable insurance in the event of any accidents occurring.......
penfold Wrote:

--
BarryK

Hello Barry Years ago I had to do similar 1 Bridgeport, 1CNC Bridgeport 1, surface grinder, 1 cylindrical grinder . I had a pallet truck reasonable to hire and two 8ft x 4ft cheap 3/4" shuttering ply boards roll it on two of the boards move the back one to the front and just keep following up with the other board they didn't harm the grass at all as long as it's dry got the machines up the garden about 80 Yards up a step down about 6" down a step and onto a pallet then straight into a van with a tail lift. All of this with three people and about 6 Hours work just be patient and you would be surprised what you can move. Hope this helps Cheers Colin
hanks for all the advice folks!
I've hired a professional machine removal guy who's willing to do the job at a very sensible price, not much more than I would have had to pay to hire all the paraphenalia......
Thanks again
Cheers Barry
--
BarryK
Add a 'T' to hanks and it'll be somewhere nearly right...........