Identifying Indexable tips

I have an 8mm diameter boring bar with a triangular insert held in with an M2 torx screw. I want to buy some replacement inserts (and a spare screw) but after searching the web have only succeded in getting confused.

The inserts have sides about 7mm long, and the holder, made by Komet and marked UJ 8-803-F-R

Does anyone know the insert designation or maybe know if there is a Komet stockist in the south cheshire area.

TIA

Ian Phillips

Reply to
Ian Phillips

Sort of replying to my own post here, but can anyone suggest where I can get a table or chart showng the make up of indexable insert identification codes?

I have just won an eBay item of 20 carbide tips which I thought (well they had the right 4 letter code) would fit another holder I have, only to find they are much too large, right shape though...

Ian Phillips

Reply to
Ian Phillips

I've yet to try to identify the correct inserts for toolholders I've collected, but I was given a catalogue from Sandvik Coromant that appears to explain their numbering system with the aid of lots of useful pictures. Try to beg a copy from a local tool supplier.

There's probably something like it at

I haven't found the numbering explanation there yet, just application guides.

The catalogue also refers to ISO 1832-1991, so you might try getting hold of a copy of that.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Here's the ANSI identification system:

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Tony

Thanks for the link the info looks great. However unless I am missing something the chart does not explain how the sizing works for triangular inserts.

Prior to looking at the site I had assumed the inserts standards would be ISO. I have just looked in the RS catalogue and their dimensions (radii) are given in mm so is there a metric ansi I wonder!!

Ian Phillips

Reply to
Ian Phillips

Working from my Sandvic catalogue, first letter is shape. triangular = T ( w="bent" triangle ) second letter is clearance angle.. b=5, c=7, e=20, n=0, p=11. third letter is a tolerance, fourth letter is hold down type, single sided countersunk =T ( with top rake ) or W ( flat top ) next two is cutting edge length ( side length on triangular T, half side length on bent triangle W ) for T , 06=3.97, 09=5,56, 11=6,35, 16=9,525, 22=12.7 next two are thickness, next two nose radius next letter is edge type

I think you need T**(TorW)11.... tips.

The code is an ISO standard, ( which ??? )

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

I have another chart from sandvik. unable to send via your address please advise if correct'

Reply to
Maurice Hood

Looks like my address got truncated. It is

ian--at--lightdept--dot--co--dot--uk

Reply to
Ian Phillips