Imperial Steel Sections

I need to gaft in a repair to a trailer built some years ago using
what I assume to be imperial rectangular steel box section. The
outside dimensions are roughly (in metric) 35mm x 55mm. Wall thickness
is 3mm.
A couple of questions:
What nominal imperial size is this likely to be?
Where the hell can I find a length no longer than 9" of this?
Suggestions welcomed
Charles
Reply to
Charles p
Charles,
1.5" x 2" x 1/8" Steel stockists will have metric in stock so why worry about English sizes, knock on a fabrication companies door and ask.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Martin
Failure in the measuring department. It's actually 35x60. If I can't find a matching piece I'll just replace the whole length.
Charles
Reply to
Charles p
1.1/2" x 21/4 x 1/8
Martin
Failure in the measuring department. It's actually 35x60. If I can't find a matching piece I'll just replace the whole length.
Charles
Reply to
campingstoveman
60 x 40 is the standard nowadays,
Reply to
mark
Metal supermarket or similar franchises should supply you with a much or little as you need. Not cheap but then they are left holding the remainder of a 6m length.
Bob
Reply to
Bob Minchin
I've just called my local stockholder (who aren't usually the cheapest) to check the price. Since it's only =A336 for a 7.5 metre it's not worth mucking about. I'll replace the whole piece - it'll be easier and probably quicker. And I'll have 5.5 metres leftover in the garage loft for future projects!
Charles
Reply to
Charles p
I've just called my local stockholder (who aren't usually the cheapest) to check the price. Since it's only £36 for a 7.5 metre it's not worth mucking about. I'll replace the whole piece - it'll be easier and probably quicker. And I'll have 5.5 metres leftover in the garage loft for future projects!
Charles
Better off going to a local ironworks (Gates and Railing guys) and buying only what you need, you would probably get it for a tenner !! Are you down south ? Bob
Reply to
Emimec
Yes Bob - I'm in Suffolk. IIRC we have almost met in Harlow with relation to an Acramil chuck!
Charles
Reply to
Charles p
Yes Bob - I'm in Suffolk. IIRC we have almost met in Harlow with relation to an Acramil chuck!
Charles
I thought I we had !! Theres a couple of places in Brimsdown, Enfield, I deal with that might help you with a short section instead of buying loads of it. Another thought, try a scrap yard, you can buy from them at the scrap price going rate, theres a big yard at Edmonton. Bob
Reply to
Emimec
Our local scrappies have ceased selling stock to the public. Not sure why, but it seems all 3 locals ones have done the same.
Is there some newish legal issue?
Reply to
Wayne Weedon
Yes Bob - I'm in Suffolk. IIRC we have almost met in Harlow with relation to an Acramil chuck!
Charles
Charles Do you want me to get hold of a short bit and meet you again in Harlow ? Bob
Reply to
Emimec
No, don't worry Bob. I'll get a length nearer home but thanks for the offer.
I've found that Parkside Steel (Enfield and Mansfield) are decent people to deal with
Regards
Charles
Reply to
Charles p
Mine too.
I don't know, but a year or so ago someone got crushed and killed by a big machine at my local scrappy - he didn't work for the scrappy, but he sort-of worked at the scrappy, ie he was there most of the time.
Scrappy says they then stopped selling to the public (though the guy wasn't what you might call the "public") because of health-n'-safety, but no details available.
-- Peter Fairbrother
Reply to
Peter Fairbrother
Probably the requirement to only deal with licensed waste disposers, and you as a private caller might well be a council snooper in disguise.
Reply to
anon and off
Ok, no problem. I deal with Parkside at Enfield all the time, as you say, nice people to deal with. Opposite the Enfield branch is a depot for British Waterways, lots of iron Channel etc laying around outside, same applies to Cannon Steels in Brimsdown, lots of stuff in the yard which looks like small bits could be bought. Bob
Reply to
Emimec