UK to US Steelwork Conversion

Hi Group,
I have a couple of questions for our American colleagues.
I have been approached by a customer with a query regarding the
manufacture of a large welded steel access platform. At present the drawings exist in AutoCAD dwg format and use metric steel sizes and dimensions and European sheet sizes (A3 through A0).
Amongst his requirements is a need to 'convert' the drawings to US standards for possible manufacture in the US/Canada.
I appreciate the US use imperial dimensioning, but, on this type of drawing would fractional dimensions be shown in decimal or as actual fractions?
What are the general steelwork standards (Materials & fixings) in use in the US?
With regard to drawing sheet sizes, would I be correct in assuming European sheet sizes A4, A3, A2, A1 & A0 roughly correspond to US sheet sizes A, B, C, D & E?
The customer has also expressed a wish to use Tekla XSteel to produce new drawings. Is this software widely used in the US design world or could someone suggest a more widely used software package for the US market?
TIA
Jim Stevenson Abacad Design
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.abacad-design.com
(Remove NOSPAM. for email)
In general, steel construction in the US is standardized by the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). Take a look at www.aisc.org. They published a couple of books, Manual of Steel Construction, &, Detailing for Steel Construction, but I have heard that these are now a single volume. The Manual of Steel Construction covers physical properties of US standard rolled shapes, nominal dimensions & joint design, etc. The Detailing for Steel Construction covers the "drafting" dimensions of US standard rolled shapes, stuff like hole gages, etc.

snipped-for-privacy@usfamily.net says...

Thanks for the reference Mark
Jim

--
www.setiuk.com

Although strucad and xsteel are excellent steel detailing programmes, both require a significant investment. A single customer request for the contract in one of the software programmes, would not be a justified investment in either. Having used both , I understand the immense benefits for the customer in getting his drawings on one of them. Detailing steelwork on autocad in preference to strucad/xsteel is like using an abbacus as opposed to a laptop. If a strucad detailer were given all of the contract info at the startup, he could finish the contract extremely quickly. Alternatively draw the initial plan layout, and supply a strucad detailer with the autocad plan, he can dxf it into strucad and get detailing fast.
Tim

snipped-for-privacy@gofree.indigo.ie says...

(Remove NOSPAM. for email)