Myfords - no cause for concern!

Having dealt with RDG Tools at one exhibition or another, I am confident that the Myford name and traditions of customer service
are now in good hands.

I wish I shared your optimism. I am awaiting collection and refund of the second dud D1-4 faceplate they sent me. Both were distorted and with significant casting flaws. In short - useless crap. To send one dud is a mistake. To send a second unchecked one is stupid and not in any way reminiscent of service.
--
Roland Craven
Nr. Exeter, Devon, UK

Only fair to add that my refund arrived yesterday (minus Paypal fees of course). I was also told to keep the faceplate for all the use it is. Blatantly the stress relief was either inadequate or more likely absent. I can see no good reason for ever dealing with RDG again.
Roland Craven Nr. Exeter, Devon, UK snipped-for-privacy@petternut.co.uk www.petternut.co.uk

Is it worth your time correcting the faults on the one you are keeping? It's usually recommended that you skim the surface of the plate in situ before first use.
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org
On 20/07/2011 16:06, Alan Dawes wrote:

On the other side of the coin, I have dealt with RDG many times, both at exhibitions and through telephone and e-mail and have not had any problems with the service, delivery or quality.
Cheers
Peter
puffernutter wrote:

I've had no service or delivery problems of note with RDG either - but I have had quality problems.
Mind you, that's not just with RDG, they all fail sometimes - but RDG do seem a bit worse than the rest.
If I want better quality, and I generally do these days as there is a lot of rubbish about which isn't worth the cheap price, I usually look elsewhere.
-- Peter Fairbrother

Purely for my own interest I have done that. First step, run a die down the oversize pin threads (on this set at least the threads are concentric with the pins). That allows enough play for the plate to pull down evenly. This gives a consistent runout of 0.0035" at the rim and zero at the centre. Said error now remains in the same place irrespective of mounting position. Looking good I thought. However running a DTI along a radius gives a variation of 8-12 thou (same as the first plate). The plate is unevenly concave and I confirmed this with a straight edge (actually the base of a precision level) and feelers. Lack of stress-relief?
Started facing with a 4 thou cut. This runs out more or less (+ or - 1/2" of radius) around the outer edges of the slots. An 8 thou cut runs out around the inner edges of the slots (+ or - 1/4" of radius) and a final 12 though cut finishes the job. Also machined the bore and rim, and marked mounting position.
However the faceplate always had a casting void partly filled with slag near the centre and that ran into the bore. The facing revealed several other small slag inclusions. The first plate was the same. If it stays flat I might use this item for low-speed light-cuts of light items but that's not why I bought it. I've now put it to one side to recheck in a few weeks. Who'll offer odds on it still being flat?
Neither plate had been examined since it was packed in, presumably, China. To be told; "This is a new line from abroad so still trying to sort slight issues out but this will be sorted" means I am paying in money and time to provide QA. I'm happy for those who get good service but I am not one of them!
ttfn
--
Roland Craven
Nr. Exeter, Devon, UK

A thought - would, leaving the plate in the bottom of the domestic oven on a wire tray for a few weeks so periodically, as the oven was used for cooking, it was heated and then cooled slowly, relieve the strain in it?
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org

Probably but its got assorted oils and paint on it and since its scrap anyway I can live without incurring SWMBO's wrath. and cleaning the oven is my job :-(
cheers Roland

oven on

for
in it?

scrap
oven is

I thought that traditionally they were left outside the workshop, and the apprentices were instructed to pee on them when the need arose.
AWEM
Bit late for that :-)

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Castings? I could undestand pressings.
--
Old Nick

FWIW I re-mounted the faceplate today. I have 0.001" runout at the rim and 0.0035" convexity across a radius. As I suggested earlier, a piece of utter crap. ttfn Roland

Having dealt with RDG in the past I would say your talking crap.
On 7/18/2011 9:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk wrote:

Can't say I've ever had a problem with them . I've purchased quite a bit of stuff from them over the last three or four years service, quality and range of the product for the price has been good. Much better than the scalpers here in OZ any way.
--
Kevin (Bluey)

Perhaps it is that a little more attention needs to be paid to quality, but the personal service they pay to phone and exhibition customers is good, and gives one a warm feeling

I believe in giving credit where it is due, but that smacks of outright sycophancy. Are you being paid by RDG? Is that why you prefer to remain anonymous?
Cliff Coggin.

I am no more anonymous than are you, what with you having chosen a pseudonym based on two gears not enmeshing correctly.
They're not part of this thread, but I've had equally good service and quality from Chronos and from ARC Eurotrading.
Why be unpleasant?
anon and off wrote:

Well personally I don't set any store by your posts since there is no name against them. If this was an email list they would just get deleted.
RDG and Arc both make mistakes from time to time, but in general I get better service from both than I do from some of the 'bigger' suppliers.
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

... and it would seem that L.S.Caine Electronic Services has a crap relationship with punters, if the above is anything to go by.