What killed Myford?

Was it the availability of Chinese machines of ever-increasing quality at half the price?

Were Myfords themselves even importing Chinese Machines and selling them in the VM... series?

Whatever it was, it is the end of an era, when spare parts for the earliest ML7 from the 1940s could be furnished from current production.

What of the design rights and accompanying drawings? Is it something that we as the Internet community could handle with a co-operative effort to fabricate and furnish spares?

Reply to
anon and off

We as the internet community already do, with some of the lathes Myford made.

The rights matter is a bit different though.

According to Myford, the "M" type is "obsolete" (though people who use both it and the ML7 say the "M" is better) and they don't seem to bother (or even notice) that we have drawings of a fair percentage of the lathe and its accessories. But then it was never really their design, it was handed to them from Drummond Bros during the war.

Support is not very organised, apart from the drawings there are very occasional foundry runs and someone (probably reading this) has a full set of gearcutters. Don't know if he's still interested in running off a few changewheels though.

There may even be a similar group devoted to the ML7.

- Brian (Drummond, but no relation!)

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Half the price? Last time I checked it was around a quarter of the price.

Reply to
pcb1962

Quite who is "we" of the Internet community? Your message was anonymous.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

I think others will share my view that they didn't help themselves with their excessively high priced accessories. One has only to look at the Myford Dividing Head and compare it, price-wise and utility- wise, with the Geo. H Thomas versatile dividing head (or its lookalike from Mytholmroyd) and the case is clear. Although, as an owner of an early (clunker) S7, I may shed a tear in the passing of Myford I feel certain that parts and accessories that fit will be available for many many years.

Reply to
82045