Internally Splined Broached Shaft

Is there anyone here who has the capabilities to do an 8 inch long ,1 and 3/8 internal, 6 splined broached shaft...these are general measurements........detailed plans avalable with the proper dimentions for the guy who is willing to do this. I have a friend who wants a number of these made up..........if initial batch good.........promise of more... possibly 100 plus. or do you know someone or a company that can do this with 150 miles of Colwyn-Bay North Wales. I was told that the only way to do this economically was on a huge machine that stands ten foot high..........or does anyone have better ideas.

Reply to
mark

How about wire erosion? Cut the profile in a a longer stock length and then chop to size.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

How about wire erosion? Cut the profile in a a longer stock length and then chop to size.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I'd be fascinated to know what he is going to use them for... can't help you with the manufacturing, though

Reply to
Robin

it all relates to this ...

it's a method of coupling farm implements without having to leave the seat of the tractor...the splined shaft is the drive to the implement. splined shaft must move in and out for it all to work .see mozaigs. going to find the traction engine guys group and post there .....as they are more likly to have the equipement all the best...mark

Reply to
mark

implement.

The bloke that wrote that patent spec didn't belong to the Plain Engish movement did he

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

So essentially, he's looking for a female shaft with the standard 540rpm PTO splines 8 inches long?

I'd like to see some better diagrams of how the PTO shaft is going to work, as I can't quite figure it out from the patent diagram/explanation.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Thanks for your interest Murray.......... My friend has since modified what appears in the patent diagrams. he says he isnt willing to share his plans or diagrams with anyone that does not have the capabilities to make these. There are a few other patents in the pipeline.....I showed you the old ones........ He is not on the net himself and he does not like the idea of sharing his ideas with people other than people who can actually make these thuings. I've just looked at your workshop on your website .........and I dont see any heavy equipement there. by economical ...........I mean that these things should take less than ten mins each to make with the right machine...........not hours with a shaper or edm or other. hope you understand and are not upset at my reply. but my friend hopes to go into production of these hitches soon ........and be able to make a profit. all the best....mark

Reply to
mark

Why not just buy the damn things. these are standard off the shelf items. Here's just the first item I found doing a web search under PTO Splined shafts.

Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I can fully understand why he doesn't want to share his ideas.

I've just finished having a read through the original document for the patent (I only read the abstract before), and I can have a good guess at what he's modifying, and why.

I'm only curious about the design, as I have quite a bit of contact with tractors. I've certainly got no interest in making any of the bits.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

thankyou john thats just what is wanted but the site you gave is a usa company is there a uk company that does the same things all the best..mark

Reply to
mark

I've just asked him about on the shelf ones he says This country used to supply six inch ones .....but now they are only avalable in five inch but he wants eight inch ones . That usa site only does 6 inch ones. WHAT ABOUT YOUR BUTLER SLOTTING MACHINE JOHN can this do them what amount of time would one on this machine take to do. all the best.....mark

Reply to
mark

Slotting that small over 8" is near impossible due to tool deflection or so Gert says

My slotter is only 6" and it won't do these. They need to be broached.

I use

for splined bushed for the hydraulic pumps, perhaps they may be able to help or suggest someone who can. I think he's on a sticky wicket unless he's prepared to up front tooling costs.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Ok thanks John I've been to the website and given him the phone number of hydra drive. he will phone in the morning. I did discus welding two together with him .....sort of bevaling the edges quite deep and welding them together whilst a splinned shaft is thru both. but he's not keen ...as these tractors can have more than 400 horse power. all the best....mark

Reply to
mark

No joy hydra drive say there max is 3 and 3/34 inches ..........and that would cost him an arm and a leg the search goes on. all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

I've found this company for him

They say, they have to have the broach specially made and set-up sorted which will be a costy =A33000 to him but once up and running they can churn them out for =A32.50 a peice. minimum order 200 works out about =A320 a peice does this sound resonable to you guys ?. all the best...mark

Reply to
mark

Has he built a prototype yet to prove the design is going to work?

If not, I'd be inclined to use the welding option to prove that the design is going to work, before spending any money on tooling costs. If the design would allow, aswell as beveling the two shafts and welding, I would also weld an additional sleeve over the two shafts for extra strength. Of course, this would depend on whether the design could accomodate the sleeve.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Sounds reasonable to me (well, how are you going to get it done cheaper?).

If you need a one-off for a prototype before commiting to production you may be able to use the table power feed off an old milling machine. The older mechanical feed mechanisms had a similar arrangement of splined shaft coming from the main body of the mill to the end of the table.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Yes he's built several prototypes and they all work very well. he can pick up tractor attatchments that are on bumpy ground and in a different orientation to the approaching tractor,even in the worse situtions the tractor always picks the accessorie up withput a struggle. someone is suposed to be making a website for him in readyness for the launch of this gadget...........will keep you all posted when the website is up. all the best...mark

Reply to
mark