Is it just me ???????

Don't answer that.

Just been reading my Yahoo groups, one of which is the Myford group and someone has called for a poll on what size drills do you use?

A poll??????????? on size of drills ??????????

So is it just me that finds this absurd or is it Myford owners in general.

Just to flesh the bones out it's now 2008, there are other colour's besides gray, the world isn't flat and the shilling meter is on it's way out.

Reply to
John Stevenson

John I would like to participate in the poll if I had a Myford I would say that I use to use a one eigth drill but have now gone metric and use a

3.1mm Regards Alan
Reply to
jackary

Why would you want to participate, what do you consider the function of the poll is?

Reply to
:Jerry:

Somebody's got terribly excited by the presence of the "start poll" button.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

I don't know why, but there seems to have been an explosion of small groups, all pretty meaningless in the general scheme of things, but presumably there is a closer community spirit or whatever than they would find elsewhere?

I'm in one for the Orcad DOS software, but it is really only a post or two a week at best.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

I haven't the faintest idea - I posed the same q on the Myford group and have yet to get an answer.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I'm afraid the S/N ratio on Myford is a little poor at present - I tend to lurk there in the hope of discovering knowledge from time to time. Yes, it does happen, you just have to be patient. However John, for a person of your much more detailed level of knowledge I'd think you would not be learning much there, more teaching us less ignorant 'self taught' engineers. I value your contributions to the group highly.

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

Was the answer clearance and tap drill sizes?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

In message , John Stevenson writes

John, No - it is not Myford owners in general. Amongst other machines I have a Myford - and I find it beyond absurd. It is plain ridiculous!

The problem I believe is that some people who frequent these groups have got little else to do. The computer is on, their e.mail is read and they have to occupy their minds.

The thing I find strange is why people respond to "polls" anyway?

Who gives a rats?

You could have broken that to me gently........

Regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

Myford drill poll I know it?s been a long winter and cabin fever manifests itself in many ways. It may be a questionable search for the average drill size used by Myford operators but I think that it is only part of the story. In order to complete the picture surely the depth drilled as well as the diameter is required for the whole hole poll ho ho! I think that well drilled Myford operators would be able to avail the pollsters (no names no pack drill) of the required info. and that should complete the Myford whole hole poll story. However even after the results are analysed I do not think it will stand any comparison with the gargantuan financial hole that the malevolent social engineer and economic incompetent Gordon Brown has created and dumped the whole of Britain into. Regards Alan

Reply to
jackary

I've always thought of Myfords that way!

:-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I think you're underestimating the value of these polls.

While I was a student, a number of us counted the number of sheets on our favoured brands of toilet paper as we used them. We found that one particular supermarket's own brand was consistently contained between

5 and 6 sheets per roll more than the others. We then factored that into a price comparison to find the best value. Without that poll, it would have taken me many times longer to gather the information.

I conducted a similar study afterwards (again with others) to see how many matches were in each manufacturers box. By now we had learned a little from our previous poll and recorded not only the number of matches but their success rate at striking and lighting. This time we found little difference but that doesn't detract from the validity of the exercise.

Spurred on by my successes, I tried to find collaborators to count and record the number of baked beans in tins from different suppliers. Alas, this poll failed primarily due to the lack of consistent information from my colleagues. Their answers became less believable as time went on. This hid not only any differences between suppliers but also any variations I was hoping to find through the year. Most disappointing.

These polls can deliver some fascinating information. I find they make incredibly interesting reading and I enjoy studying the data within. Don't underestimate them.

John

Reply to
John

Did you count the matches by tipping them on the ground, glancing briefly and saying "51 matches, yeah 51. I'm a very good driver. Walmart sucks." ?

Reply to
Dave Baker

What!...you never factored in the thickness,absorption or softness,I suppose you equated quantity as value.Not a reliable poll was that.

Allan

Reply to
Allan Waterfall

Ah, John,

My generation was a war time one of shortages. Writing pads had inserts which read 'Owing to the shortage of paper, please use both sides'

When I took my first job, every loo compartment carried the message.

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

On or around Fri, 21 Mar 2008 17:42:14 -0000, "Dave Baker" enlightened us thusly:

we're counting cards.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Can you do the spots on dominoes afterwards ?

Allan

Reply to
Allan Waterfall

Or the dot on the telly?