Laser Scanning

Can anyone recommend a laser scanning service for small parts to the home hobbyist (ie cheap) in the UK???

On 17 Jul, 17:04, Bulldog <"Percussion Engineer"> wrote:

No, but I can recommend an expensive service for scanning major plant.
This is an emerging area I am interested in, and I realised the other day that a really rich modeller would be able to make most existing things at any scale by a) Laser scanning the subject (a steam engine, your beloved, or even the missus) b) Using the so-called 3D printing to make a physical prototype at any desired scale, c) Making a silicone rubber mould, d) using the mould to make a wax replica, and finally e) Investment casting the finished object.
Armed with that lot you could scale model almost anything and in quite impressive detail, sadly my personal budget will not stretch to such exotic techniques, and my work only involves big-scale petrochemical plant.
Steve
Cheshire Steve wrote:

I've seen the results of that type of scanner. At the scene of a faked RTA a traffic cop set up a device on a tripod, after a few minutes moving it to a 2nd then a 3rd location. It created a 3d image of the entire scene showing the exact positions of all the vehicles involved which he was able to rotate & view from differant points.
I think what I'm looking for is someone with a NextEngine type scanner that is happy to do odd jobs.
On 20 Jul, 12:51, Bulldog <"Percussion Engineer"> wrote:

Good point - I want to use the same technology to scan ladies before they go flabby. Though I am probably a bit late in life - but maybe I can market the idea to younger people and be involved in quality control.
One problem is registering the scans from different positions, so I expect the copper will have inserted balls (spheres) in various locations. These are identical when scanned from any angle, so allow you to lock scans from different locations together without needing to survey the location of the scanner.
Steve
Cheshire Steve wrote:

Funnily enuff, when researching laser scanning thru Google I came across a sculptor with a huge 10'+ 4 axis CNC mill. Scans a person, touches it up a little, converts it to CNC GCode then his 4 axis mills it out of some kind of foam . . . et voila' a pattern for a cast statue within a couple of days.
I reckon there are enuff vain & wealthy people around to earn good money from that !

I remember a lot of lime green squares, like cats eyes dotted about the scene but the merging of the scans seemed to be automatically done by the software.
"Bulldog" <"Percussion Engineer"> wrote in message

Not personally, however a flyer happened to cross my desk today from this company http://www.metris.com/ which may be able to help identify a company close to you which might help? They supply laser digitisers to industry. It could be worth a call depending on how desperate you are. I am in no way involved with this company, I happen to work with co-ordinate measuring machines working for BAE Systems and receive several flyers each week from various companies trying to sell upgrades/new machines.
Andy
Depends what you want scanning. I can scan objects in 2.5D using a Roland machine, but it uses a probe to scan with. Been fine for the work I do. Items upto 200mm x 150mm x 60mm, also rotary scanning upto 60mm diameter and 150mm long.
Joules