Lathe/not lathe on ebay

An interesting device this, I thought maybe it was a clock movement until I read the description below. Any ideas?

390667245172

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

A rotisserie perhaps, though the burner looks small for cooking?

Cliff Coggin

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

It's been discussed at length on one of the engineering forums. The general consensus is that it it was for recording sound waves. The burner being to smoke cover a cylinder, and there is a large aperture where a horn previously was. Thought to be converted from a wax cylinder phonograph.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

How about "wiping" previously recorded wax cylinders? Or making new ones? Lamp softens the wax and a roller makes it smooth.

I can't see a roller but it could be missing or one of the bits we can see but not recognise.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Now that just clicks for me.

I don't think a roller would be needed however.

-- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother