Lathe/not lathe on ebay

An interesting device this, I thought maybe it was a clock movement until I read the description below. Any ideas?
390667245172
Steve
A rotisserie perhaps, though the burner looks small for cooking?
Cliff Coggin

"shazzbat" wrote in message

It's been discussed at length on one of the engineering forums. The general consensus is that it it was for recording sound waves. The burner being to smoke cover a cylinder, and there is a large aperture where a horn previously was. Thought to be converted from a wax cylinder phonograph.
AWEM
On 03/10/13 12:42, Andrew Mawson wrote:

How about "wiping" previously recorded wax cylinders? Or making new ones? Lamp softens the wax and a roller makes it smooth.
I can't see a roller but it could be missing or one of the bits we can see but not recognise.
Brian.
On 03/10/13 20:06, Brian Reay wrote:

Now that just clicks for me.
I don't think a roller would be needed however.
-- Peter F