Lost the plot?

I've been watching a few items on ebay with interest :)

BB560 Calypso RRP £429.99 NOW ONLY £1361.99 And HMS Victory - OUR SPECIAL EBAY PRICE £1260.00 for a kit that retails at £300...

definitely seem to have lost the plot on this reduced price thing :)

Reply to
Lester Caine

Looking at their other stuff, it does give the impression that these, plus a few more, are simply typos with an extra one at the front of the price.

OTOH, If someone willingly pays £1000 more than you need for a product, are you going to be upset? :-)

Reply to
Mark Rand

I'd been watching the victory kit at £260 so I did ask when it jumped, but not had a reply in a week so obviously they don't take much care ... so would one deal with them at all? :)

Reply to
Lester Caine

It,s cheap advertising and escaping ebay and Paypal charges.They don't want to sell through ebay,they want you to contact them direct via the details provided in the add. I find if I sell something on there and the buyer pays with Paypal,I lose something like 10 - 12% of the sale price in charges. Even worse if I ask Paypal to pay me the money right away.

Reply to
mark

Surely the Ebay listing charge is proportional to the price set? The higher the price, the higher the Ebay charge, whether it sells or not.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Well if they had a website then I'd understand that, but I simply search for other suppliers who are not on ebay anyway and buy from them ;) Cheap advertising only works if people understand that is what it is?

Cliff you only pay when something sells and a percentage of the final sale price ... which is why I don't use ebay myself. And I put up with paypal since it's actually cheaper for me that paying the bank every month :) Although many people do internet banking these days so I'm paying even less paypal changes.

Reply to
Lester Caine

Perhaps it was listed on a free listing day?

Or perhaps the listing fee is small compared to that saved by that saved on the items 'not selling', at least not at the headline price.

Several items on that page have £1000 added to the headline price but, in the main text, the price is lower.

I was intrigued by the 'bait boat', used for carp fishing it seems!

Seems on a par with the pricing policy.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that some vendors will put the price up when they don't have stock so they don't sell rather than pull the auction.

Reply to
David Billington