Leather washers

Does anyone have experience of manufacturing leather cup washers?

I am refurbishing a small hydraulic jack which, apart from not holding it's fluid, is in excellent condition. Over the course of the past seventy odd years the two leather washers 'which do the business' have become very brittle and need replacement.

They are cup washers as per bicycle pump. The ram washer is 1" dia. cupped to 1/4" deep , made from 1/8" thick leather. The pump washer is

1/2" diameter otherwise the same.

What is the best way to produce these I wonder? Or, by any good chance are such items still available commercially?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

Unless you are going for historical authenticity, I suggest you get rubber cup seals from a seal supplier.

try asking Mantek, Tel 01252 343 335, they can supply in small quantities by post ( they are in Aldershot )

Hope this helps

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Reply to
Martin L

If you go ahead with the leather idea you need to know there are two distinct curing methods, which I learnt the hard way:( Good continental,British and American leather is chromate treated which leaves a dark blue line in cross section between the coloured layer and the base. Most third world leather is vegetable treated and doesn't shew the blue line, it's much less tough and quickly becomes brittle when heated (I was using it as a washer under a safety valve).

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes